Replacement Alternator

audiokat

Reaction score
Have my 71 2800CS at a shop. They are having a tough time finding a replacement and recommending a re-build along with the voltage regulator at a cost of $1500 including labor. Not sure just yet how much is their labor. Anyone have any other ideas on a replacement? That is more affordable?

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That feels illegal. Maybe they are quoting high because they aren't familiar with our cars?

Search on this site to find how to convert to modern single wire alternator with internal regulator.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ship yours to buchanan electric and save 1000 bucks is my suggestion.

And ditch your High Price Harry shop...

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I use an AC Delco CS-130 for my E3. It's virtually a bolt-in.

Vintage56

Reaction score
If you are up for it and can safely remove the alternator yourself, take the unit to a local rebuild shop that can replace the brushes and other components for likely under $300. About 5 years ago, I had my alternator rebuilt at a shop that specialized in rebuilding alternators and starters. I believe the cost then was about $100. Of course, if a shop like this is not near you, you can always send it out to them. Likely your shop will use this same service, or send it out for you.

$1500!? That's insane.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was looking at one of the UK WOSP units since I want to try to make an electric AC system down the road.

That's a whole lot of amps... 240A....
I guess if the battery and associated wiring (and belt drive) are sized accordingly - should be ok for going up to that kind of power....

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Off an E12 w/internal regulator.

Attachments

• 20151231_155238.jpg
    20151231_155238.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 14