Removing all the wood

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Cincinnati, yes, coupes rust. They rust a lot. If you look, you will find rust. Try doing s forum search on the word rust; it is a never ending battle that you will come to love and hate. Last year I finished the bodywork on my coupe. We took it down to bare metal and put zinc rust control primer on before paint. Just last week I noticed the first telltale sing of a rust bubble. The real rust is usually hidding and you will find it under every panel you check. Most of the rust is minor but there are some real problem areas to look into. You can finds load of information on rust problem areas in the forum.

Your wood photos and dash look very much akin to what I started with. I can say the 4 years after starting I have made some progress and after another 8 years I should be done in time to start over.

Do you have your center grill cover? If not send me a PM.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Cincinnati, yes, coupes rust. They rust a lot. If you look, you will find rust. Try doing s forum search on the word rust; it is a never ending battle that you will come to love and hate. Last year I finished the bodywork on my coupe. We took it down to bare metal and put zinc rust control primer on before paint. Just last week I noticed the first telltale sing of a rust bubble. The real rust is usually hidding and you will find it under every panel you check. Most of the rust is minor but there are some real problem areas to look into. You can finds load of information on rust problem areas in the forum.

Your wood photos and dash look very much akin to what I started with. I can say the 4 years after starting I have made some progress and after another 8 years I should be done in time to start over.

Do you have your center grill cover? If not send me a PM.

CincinnatiE9

Reaction score
Is there a windshield removal how to? The majority of the rust bubbling I found was around the windshield seal, so it ought to come out anyways.

CincinnatiE9

Reaction score
Is there a windshield removal how to? The majority of the rust bubbling I found was around the windshield seal, so it ought to come out anyways.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I know the removing the windshield helps with dash work. However, I would suggest you make sure you can find a replacement if it breaks. You should also plan to by a new seal. Three years ago I had to purchase the a front window and there were only 6 left in North America. Also, I would advise that you hire a windshield expert to help, it isn't too expensive in the overall scheme of things and these guys are often happy to make house calls. Coming out isn't too bad but going in is. The coupe front window seal uses a triple lip and it has to be "roped" in. With three of working to set mine (me and two pros) it took 4 hours, 4 tries, and 4 cans of window seal lubricant and lots of German obscenities to get it set properly.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I know the removing the windshield helps with dash work. However, I would suggest you make sure you can find a replacement if it breaks. You should also plan to by a new seal. Three years ago I had to purchase the a front window and there were only 6 left in North America. Also, I would advise that you hire a windshield expert to help, it isn't too expensive in the overall scheme of things and these guys are often happy to make house calls. Coming out isn't too bad but going in is. The coupe front window seal uses a triple lip and it has to be "roped" in. With three of working to set mine (me and two pros) it took 4 hours, 4 tries, and 4 cans of window seal lubricant and lots of German obscenities to get it set properly.

jmackro

Reaction score
CincinnatiE9 said:
Is there a windshield removal how to?

Here it is:

- Open phone book. Look up "Automobile - windshield removal"
- Dial number
- Wait for them to come to your home
- Pay $50 - $75
- Stand back, and watch how easy it is (when you are a pro and do it every day)

While this job CAN be done by an amateur, in my opinion it's not worth the risk given the cost of a new windshield.

jmackro

Reaction score
CincinnatiE9 said:
Is there a windshield removal how to?

Here it is:

- Open phone book. Look up "Automobile - windshield removal"
- Dial number
- Wait for them to come to your home
- Pay $50 - $75
- Stand back, and watch how easy it is (when you are a pro and do it every day)

While this job CAN be done by an amateur, in my opinion it's not worth the risk given the cost of a new windshield.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
door wood removal..

As my ignorance slowly turns into minor intelligence about these wonderful cars, I thank this board and the advice of many of its members. So, occasionally, I learn something that someone new to our coupes may not know, and it is shared. Its a good thing....

When you get ready to remove the door wood, you will at some point have to remove the round vent window knob. Dont do what I did, and take a screw driver and try to take the cover off from the front. On the back side (you cant see it..) is a small hole that will allow you to take a bent piece of wire (or similar) to pop the cover off so that you wont screw-up the plastic cover piece. Ask me how I know. Thanks, Murray. And others. Lots of info in the search/archives. Good luck with the journey..Dave V. in NC

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
door wood removal..

As my ignorance slowly turns into minor intelligence about these wonderful cars, I thank this board and the advice of many of its members. So, occasionally, I learn something that someone new to our coupes may not know, and it is shared. Its a good thing....

When you get ready to remove the door wood, you will at some point have to remove the round vent window knob. Dont do what I did, and take a screw driver and try to take the cover off from the front. On the back side (you cant see it..) is a small hole that will allow you to take a bent piece of wire (or similar) to pop the cover off so that you wont screw-up the plastic cover piece. Ask me how I know. Thanks, Murray. And others. Lots of info in the search/archives. Good luck with the journey..Dave V. in NC

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
CincinnatiE9 said:
Removal isn't so difficult unless you are trying to save the windshield seal, in which case, hire a pro.
Otherwise, just carefully cut away the seal as much as possible, especially from the inside of the car. Eventually, you will be able to push the windshield out. Also be careful of the aluminimum trim pieces in the seal. Do not bend them as they are difficult to straighten once bent. New ones are about $100USD each side for the fronts and $250USD each side for the rears.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
CincinnatiE9 said:
Removal isn't so difficult unless you are trying to save the windshield seal, in which case, hire a pro.
Otherwise, just carefully cut away the seal as much as possible, especially from the inside of the car. Eventually, you will be able to push the windshield out. Also be careful of the aluminimum trim pieces in the seal. Do not bend them as they are difficult to straighten once bent. New ones are about $100USD each side for the fronts and $250USD each side for the rears.