Red light

inmantua1

Reaction score
My battery went dead. I had it recharged and now the red L stays on when I turn the car is off. Has anyone had this experience before?

61porsche

Reaction score
Your alternator or regulator has a fault and is not charging. All in one or seperate?

JhwShark

Reaction score
You may have a bad diode in the internal regulator...if bad you might be able to replace the regulator.

Test:
Remove the wire that is on the alternator D+ spade terminal.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Connect a small 12V test lamp from chassis (engine case) to the D+ terminal.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the light comes On, one of the alternator diodes is shorted internally.[/FONT]

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
You may have a bad diode in the internal regulator...if bad you might be able to replace the regulator.

Test:
Remove the wire that is on the alternator D+ spade terminal.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Connect a small 12V test lamp from chassis (engine case) to the D+ terminal.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the light comes On, one of the alternator diodes is shorted internally.[/FONT]

Same thing happened to me last spring. Turned out to be a dead alternator.

jbrubaker001

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, this happened to me earlier this year - bad alternator. Ended up replacing external regulator and alt and no more issues.

John