Rebuilding my E9 engine?

POLO

Reaction score
Any suggestions and what I can do to make it stronger, add some horse power etc etc?

Thanks

AndyM

Reaction score
Start with a 3.5. Rebuild the bottom end and use some Mahle flat-top pistons to bring the compression ratio up to about 9.5:1. Rebuild the stock head and add a Schrick cam. Add a set of Stahl headers and either dual webers or fuel injection as appropriate. You'll get around 200 hp and 210 ft/lb torque at the rear wheels with a broad, flat torque curve. Cheap and reliable. I have 30k on this set up and not one problem.

JhwShark

Reaction score
What are your reasons for the rebuild? Is it currently stock? Have you put it on a dyno and what is the output?
Any upgrades in the engine compartment?
How many miles on the engine? What is the compression across the head?

And how much do you want to spend/invest?
Jon

AndyM

Reaction score
What I have is the 3.0 CSi isn't the compression ratio already high?

Sure, but the 3.5 will still give more power. However, if you still have the D-Jet, I wouldn't change anything since tuning it properly to compensate cam changes and internal modifications is very difficult.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can have anything you can afford...

What is your budget and can you wrench?????

POLO

Reaction score
I would love to exchange it with an S38 but I would think that could get really expensive!? I was thinking more on just keeping the same block maybe putting a differemt cam...??

pamp

Reaction score
Money Talks

See "CSL Redo for vintage racing"
Your best bet would the coupe guys in your area...LaJolla Independent or the "CoupeKing"
If you do not do your own work...time for reality check. All things are possible...as long as you are willing to throw S-Pots of money at it. Engine configurations are virtually endless.
Also depends on the master mechanic in charge...opinions...
My 2 sense

TodB

Reaction score
engine options

I had similar issues on my E28 5er when the headgasket blew in September. My engine ended up being a 85 B34 block but loaded with B35 higher compression pistons but running an earlier B34 head. I "went for it" and had a B34 head built with B35 intake valves, double springs and a custom cam. The results are terrific though I still have to get a custom tune probably with a Miller warchip.

So I'm with AndyM on building up a higher compression M30 variant. Budget will dictate how far you go, i.e. which pistons, cam, head mods, tune, etc. Just be advised that if you do get mods like I do, you will need some sort of custom tune to "get" all of the advantages of the mods you chose. Factor that into your budget.

The engine builder I used for the head and cam was Paul Burke. He grinds his cams from scratch. Excellent work, reasonable prices. PM me and I can provide his contact info if you are interested.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some $$$$ numbers to think about.....

Carl Nelson does a great m30 b35 engine transplant- with chip or with MAF you are talking
10-12k and 240 hp

A stock 8:1 compression engine is only good for use with a turbo- cost is about the same and 275 hp

Add a schrick and springs is $1k and add port and polish is $1k

280-300 hp is about $15,000

Peter and Erik at CoupeKing do a great engine also- call Erik and he will be happy to meet you in LA at the shop.
Erik's new stainless steel and ceramic coated exhaust is incredible- I have been shooting pyrometer readings in the engine bay on these and the numbers are reallly low.
Cost is $2k+

TodB

Reaction score
options

Carl Nelson does a great m30 b35 engine transplant- with chip or with MAF you are talking 10-12k and 240 hp

We all know Carl is King of the coupes but a B35 transplant for $12K is sky high. He is very lucky to have plenty of customers who will pay those rates! Absolutely no disrespect intended. He answered many of my initial questions when I first got my Coupe.

A stock 8:1 compression engine is only good for use with a turbo- cost is about the same and 275 hp

TCD Turbo customers are routinely getting 350-400WHP+ so your HP estimate #s are low though I cannot imagine having that much HP in a stock E9 chassis either. The kits start at ~$4K depending upon what you get for options. Potentially cheaper if you source your own used E23 pieces. Even those can be tuned into the 300 HP area.

Add a schrick and springs is $1k and add port and polish is $1k

There are other more current options available besides Shrick now.I would urge you to shop around for more competitive and creative engine build options and quotes.

Just as a point of reference, the B34 head that Paul Burke built for me from scratch (no core charge to me) had a completely new valve train, larger 47 mm intake valves, double springs, custom cam and a multi angle grind amongst other things. Shipped to me along with a Goetze headgasket was < $2K which I thought was very reasonable for what I got. Pulls good and its not completely tuned yet:grin:

The M30 motors have a lot of potential. Used B34/B35 motors can be had for $500 all day long but you need to carefully review what you get. The trick is to determine the set up that best suits your desired power needs, i.e. turbo, stroker, higher compression, combination, and then determine your engine management, carbs, Motronic, Megasquirt, other, and then finally, find the right person to help execute your plan if you cannot do the work yourself.

TodB

Reaction score
MM

Not sure what the deal is with Metric Mechanic, but they either have strong supporters or those that absolutely hate them. I've never seen a dyno sheet from their work either. And Yes, they are expensive also.