Rear Suspension Refresh

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
All rubber recently replaced, including differential mount, now turning my attention to the shocks/springs. Bilsteins currently installed along with the factory springs.

I have the original shocks, and want to put them back on the car. Is there a way to tell whether they're still good? I have no reason to think they failed... Also, what are my options for the springs? I was thinking to just replace the damper rings and absorbers and keep the original springs.

Also going to add the factory sway bar.

By the way, the Bilsteins will be for sale if anyone's interested.

Thanks.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Bilsteins are gas pressurized- if you push them down they should come back up with "authority". I just took a set of rears out that acted more like non pressurized shocks- time to replace.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Original shocks are hydraulic so not sure how to test them without being under load.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry- miss read the post- the original hydraulic units should just resist pushing them down with "some authority".

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone wanting to replace Bilsteins with original type hydraulic units- are you looking for a softer ride?

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry- miss read the post- the original hydraulic units should just resist pushing them down with "some authority".

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone wanting to replace Bilsteins with original type hydraulic units- are you looking for a softer ride?

Looking for an accurate, period correct ride. The Bilsteins seem a bit harsh...