Radiator Recore Cost

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I need a new core to my E9 radiator (automatic), they want to give me three rows and quoted me 500 dollars. I can get an aluminum one for 280 but am told I may need to hook up an electric fan with the aluminum one. Can someone tell me if this 500 is reasonable since I almost fell off my chair when this was told to me?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That seems a bit high to me. I just purchased a new rad, but was considering having mine re-cored by a place that specializes in classic car radiators. I was quoted "around $300", without seeing my radiator. And that would have included cleaning the tanks, re-coring, painting it up to look like new. That would be my expectation.
https://www.rexradiator.com/classic-car-radiators/

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't have an automatic but was quoted $400-$500 to re-core and might still do it at some point. I bought this and it has worked very well. Needs a little extra shim to get the fit snug, but I used old hose material, which Stevehose suggested. He painted his and it looks better. https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/these-people-seem-nice.27983/#post-217312

Radiator.PNG

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just had 2 radiators re-cored. The one for my manual 2002 with triple core was 400 and the one for my manual coupe, also triple core was 500 so yes the price you were quoted was fair.

I had the radiator in my coupe re-cored back in 2008 when I first purchased the car. It was 195 back then. Look at the price of metal today vs 2008 and you’ll understand why it has gone up so much.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Also, a high efficiency recore will have closer spaced fins, you don’t necessarily need another row especially if fit is already tight.

jmackro

Reaction score
I can get an aluminum one for 280 but am told I may need to hook up an electric fan with the aluminum one.

Are you saying that just because of changing the radiator material from copper to aluminum, you would need a second fan? Or is it that the aftermarket aluminum radiator has different dimensions, which would interfere with the stock, mechanical fan and thus necessitate the use of an electric?

Agree with others' comments on the cost of re-coring; yea, it is shockingly expensive.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This thread is really making my ponder my decision to get a new/replacement radiator in hind sight. I picked it up from W and N, on sale for $360. Original replacement, brass tanks, etc. I bought some other items at the same time to reduce the shipping impact, and used the 20 Euro discount that is currently in place as well, so I think it was a pretty good deal. Especially when compared to the re-core prices others are noting.

Here's what I bought:
https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/radiator-man-gearbox-air-condition-11-25-10.html

Honolulu

Reaction score
ooooooh! JDM spec! 2-row racing design!

Looks quite nice and with some black paint probably looks/works quite well if the rest of the moving parts are up to it.

Amazon states it does not fit my '73 3.0CS...? Yet it's listed for the E9. The one 3/5 review states it interfered with the fan shroud on his 633CSi. No warranty offered other than "contact seller". Requires special handling and cannot be shipped to my location (Honolulu).

I got an E12 rad and it arrived damaged. So did the second one. I had both shipped insured so it worked out in the end, sorta. The second was b/c the refund for #1 wouldn't arrive until after shipper got it back, fair enough, but cumbersome for the buyer.

Recall, everyone, that the OP has an auto trans, so he'll need some provision for cooling, which the pictured aluminum radiator does not have. That should settle things, unless the seller makes a version for the AT, or BavBob makes a separate provision for trans cooling.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I did a 3-row recore on my bavaria since it was all original and I wanted to keep that look. Cost somewhere in the $450-500 range, looks like an original one and cooling seems to be fine, just drove it 2.5 hours to Road America in 90 degrees with the air running and no issues. And yes that included cleaning tanks and repainting. Mine is a manual.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
I had mine recored about five years ago by a place near Lexington (J.P. Carroll). It cost around $400. I haven't had any overheating problems with it.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did not know JP Carroll was still around, I used them 20 years ago. Good to know. I Have 2 radiators, one with a shot core, another with a shot transmission cooler. I inquired about making a hybrid of the two, we'll see where that goes.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Need I remind everyone when redoing your cooling system use distilled water along with your preferred (bmw) coolant?

For the want of a dollar. Radiator re-core $500.00 distilled water to prevent scale and reduced efficiency $1.80 bmw coolant $25.00. Peace of mind for under $30.00? Cheap investment.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have a triple core in a stock frame, works great. Had a fan fiasco in 2012, so it needed to be redone. Shop split the cost of the 2nd radiator. $450 each.

Fan Fiasco2.JPG