Product review: Stainless Steel Aftermarket E9 Bumpers

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've installed two sets of aftermarket stainless bumpers on E9s recently. Both were Federal bumper conversions. Below is my review. These are from BUMPERCAR Co. Ltd. in Vietnam.

Observations: These bumpers overall fit very well and are visually indistinguishable from OEM. If you are a metallurgist you might be able to distinguish the slight titanium coloring of the stainless vs. the pure clarity of plated chrome. The polish work on all the external surfaces is done to a very high standard. They look like 1972 Factory E9 bumpers. The fit of the bumperettes on the front is good and the kit comes with some of the rubber gaskets, however these are not OEM materials. The impact rubber front and rear is reasonably close to the original, it might be slightly smaller (section width ~-5%) compared to OEM rubber. The bumpers come with satin black paint on the inside surfaces. We did a light sanding and repainted these areas with the olive/tan color of the originals. The hardware kit is low quality stainless nuts and bolts and the kit does not include the front bumper brackets or the rear bumperettes. The rear bumperettes you have to order separately at about $200 delivered. The parts come express mail from Ho Chi Minh city and arrived in 6 days to the West Coast. Adequate to good packaging.

Issue: The rear bumper halves have two issues. See attached pics. 1) The inside radius on the rear bumper is too tight and you must grind away approx. 8mm of material to get the bumper to have the same contour as the E9 fender curve. After grinding you simply polish back the raw edge and it's done. vs. grinding on a plated part which is a no-go. Issue No. 2) the mounting brackets welded on the inside of the bumper have an incorrect angle and do not sit flush to the body. This one is more serious as you have cut this bracket lengthwise and bend the mating face and reweld it in the new position. Both issues noted above occurred on both sets of bumpers that I encountered.

The alternative is finding, fitting and replating OEM chrome bumpers. A set of cores today is about $2500.00 Chroming today for all 9 pieces is about $3-4000 for decent quality. The stainless bumper set is $1329.00 USD with free shipping. If you are installing OEM E9 bumpers from one E9 to another, the process usually does not go well. Particularly with the rear bumpers. If you get them fitted correctly you will end up grinding, welding patching to get them properly fitted to the car. This is especially true with the small rear bumperettes. So, working with stainless bumper has many advantages. You can grind, weld, fit, grind and the repolish. With OEM you have to all that up front before going to the chrome shop. Either way, someone is going to workin' a grinder and welder.

Conclusion: These are a very good value. If I do another set/install the best configuration would be to use OEM large rubber strips front and rear and use OEM smaller rubber gaskets on the bumperettes. The only unobtanium part in this project are the two small rubber covers for the rear bumperettes. Currently available at W&N but at ~$600 for the pair. I'm working on an alternative that is much more reasonable and hope to have a conclusion soon.

I've shared the above two issues with the company and they are very anxious to get feedback for improvement. Let's see, maybe the next sets will be issue free?

I purchased both sets on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275907630469? hash=item403d605585:g:xXQAAOSwgmtkjSVG&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8DFJbnecBbAxEkSisjAsnDTqelf19vxbcUoQcSeNjGGLgG%2BZTfhaJOCb5KIWIPEEXtmoAa3MyH57fTFy0KfCYfsXRsRhfs4K9gi4uIdTmnA6J%2FYnq1H97%2BTePHSUfV%2Brv%2FHydT0BhS0NI2IkQdT8ZMV3yJZvWur29vosCCrkKZr8wDvR8HWTm3SntsT4mBwk9DeRsqz%2BCvH9bkudXYB9L9RlZ1ff%2FblZhiYhCDDZBRluLxXjVFrzUnVtf9pEegYAzO0XOvfdPz8HEn58giunRKGCc7F7%2FeXIOYOO4atRNfwO2jQkkgqq%2BQtYHGIvYQk5Ow%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_qJnbLPYg

Manufacturer: BUMPERCAR Co, Ltd
Email: [email protected]
Or email: [email protected]
My chanel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFpI-qIVVUHD80U2phM-FVA/videos
My phone number: +84988323071 or +842862737929
Address: 127 2B Street, Binh Hung Hoa B Ward, Binh Tan District, City. Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 116
  • after painting.jpg
    after painting.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7547.jpg
    IMG_7547.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7587.jpg
    IMG_7587.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_7588.jpg
    IMG_7588.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3839.jpg
    IMG_3839.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3841.jpg
    IMG_3841.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3842.jpg
    IMG_3842.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3843.jpg
    IMG_3843.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 113

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I prefer to buy OEM bumpers in good condition and have them redone and they fit better on the cars ( with less headache and less time to fit them ) than non oem

Great right up .., Paul , thank you

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got a set as well, haven't tried fitting the fronts yet but the overall shape of the rear seemed OK. The biggest problem I had was although my rear panel has been drilled for standard bumpers and all seemed OK, had to cut and reweld the brackets to move the mounts around.
I can see their new design has 4 captive nut held in slots to allow for left/right movement. For the money I think they are good though!

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excellent info. Thank you Paul!

PS: You cheating your fjord life partners with a redhead?
No cheating. This was a widow who'd recently lost her husband. I was asked to help sell the car. I found a local buyer and friend. His first priority was to lose the Federal bumpers. This car was the ideal candidate for testing the aftermarket bumpers. It went so smoothly I bought the second pair.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@CTD thank you. SF Don chimed in that BTS in Germany has them for the same price. Good to know.
Are they the same quality - if not whose is better? I’m getting these soon as the W&N ones are bery bery expensive. The difference being that W&N have a specific left and right and the others have one for both sides.

CTD

Reaction score
Are they the same quality - if not whose is better? I’m getting these soon as the W&N ones are bery bery expensive. The difference being that W&N have a specific left and right and the others have one for both sides.
They are different left to right. I can't say anything about the quality because my OEMs were falling apart and I never tested the one from W&N.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
For me, the main drawback of these SS bumper is that they scratch more easily than chromed steel bumper. I’m not talking big scratches that catch a a fingernail but little stuff from say a microfiber cloth that wasn’t as clean as you thought or even a paper towel at a gas station to remove some bird poop. But, they also can be repolished back to a mirror finish if needed.

If you have the time to fit them well, they are a bargain compared to rechroming an OE set.