Plastic Restorer Treatment

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What are the forums thoughts on the best plastic restorer treatment? I have the front grills out and have used Mothers Back to Black and its OK but wondering if anyone has had better results with other products?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recently used Cerakote wipes and at this point it’s the best of this stuff I’ve tried.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been polishing mine with Meguiars plastic polish and plan to use the Cerakote wipes when I get it in the range I'd like. Also have recently bought some super low grit sandpapers I might try wet sanding with. 10,000-30,000 Grit.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What are the forums thoughts on the best plastic restorer treatment? I have the front grills out and have used Mothers Back to Black and its OK but wondering if anyone has had better results with other products?

probably that sophisticated stuff is much better
but when i try to recover plastic or vinyl i use vaseline, i let it stay for a couple of days and remove the excess
hope it helps

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been polishing mine with Meguiars plastic polish and plan to use the Cerakote wipes when I get it in the range I'd like. Also have recently bought some super low grit sandpapers I might try wet sanding with. 10,000-30,000 Grit.

i would avoid sanding
if there is a must for sanding i would use steel wool and UNIPOL plastic cleaning paste

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have never tried Cerakote wipes but I do wipe my plastic bits and alum bits with Minwax floor restorer which is nothing more than thin water-based polyurethane. Lasts for years, wipe on another coat as needed.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the cerakote wipes (also available in a bottle) and Gtechniq C4 both seem to have very good results and reviews ... similar size bottles aren't too different in price on amazon. both look like they last a long time and would be good for things like our front grilles.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To clean & make my front grills look great. I remove them & clean with dish soap then dry with clean small terry cloth “painter” towels. Then let air dry.

Meanwhile. I vacuum out the radiator & lower nose then use a dental pick to remove any bugs, sand & very small rocks while straightening the “fins” then finish with cleaning the paint around the edges of the grill openings.

With the grills, I polished the the trim with extra fine steel wool or preferably bronze wool from a Marine/Boat Shop. Bronze wool doesn’t shred or rust easily the way steel wool does.

I like Meguires Black to Black, it’s easy to find & inexpensive. Put it on heavily & use a dedicated toothbrush to ensure complete coverage, let it sit for a few minutes then remove the excess with microfiber cloths. The last step is waxing them with Zymol Titanium protecting them & makes them easier to clean on road trips.

I do like @bavbob’s thin Minwax tip & trick.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've used back to black for years, but recently tried the Ceracote on my newer vehicles and am very happy with it. Have not tried it on my coupe yet, and of course, the materials are different.

I use vaseline on all the vinyl and rubber parts of my coupe and it works well. I find it doesn't last very long on the plastics, however.

Rek

Reaction score
I painted mine with Krylon Camouflage paint in matt. Once set it is very strong.