Performance Mods to stock CSI - Most bang for the buck.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The point is that if Megasquirt isn't compatible with low impedance injectors, then L-jet becomes a plan B option that doesn't look different -- and is proven to work with a significant knowledge base out there.

MegaSquirt will work with low- or high-impedance injectors. Still, I'd go with the high impedance ones due to wider availability of suitable injectors and various delivery rates. Stock 3.5 injectors are 19lb/hr, it's not too tough to push the opening duration of those beyond practical limits when you start building an engine.

tripower

Reaction score
Tripower, send me an email and I'll bounce a pdf of the page back. The pictures will be kinda tiny, but it's still worth a read.

Sure, I can't even ping that site from home. Very strange, it's the only site I am having trouble with.

Percy

Reaction score
Easy hp modifications?

x_atlas0 said:
If you want to keep the CSi injection system, I think you are confined to the older head. If staying NA, there are some things you can do:
Headers
320i intake runners on your log-style intake manifold
P&P
Larger valves
284 cam

The rest of the limitations are mostly tied to the CSi injection system and the lack of tuning available for it. If you switched to Motronic (which can be used with the log intake, it just takes some tricky wiring) you would be able to have many people retune the car for any changes made, like a bore and stroke, as well as high comp pistons. To get the same effect, I suppose you could decrease Vc in the head, rather than dissassembling the bottom end.

Like was said before, the best bang for the buck would be a B35, Motronic, a 284, headers, and an EAT or Conforti chip. I'd put that in with 320i runners and your old manifold.

I have a dyno of a B35 with the log manifold, 320i runners, and a Conforti chip. It put down ~180 rwhp and ~200 rwtq. Factoring for drivetrain loss, this translates to about 210 crank hp and 240 crank tq.

Hopefully this topic is still current. You mentioned using the manifold runners from an E21 (320i). Since you used a dynamometer, do you have any empirical data on the power/torque changes with this change? I know some E21'ers and E24'ers claim a difference, but is it measurable? Or does it merely alter the rate/power band?

Thank you.