Other Car Cultures

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
With no E9s remaining in our garage, and the perfect E3 not presenting itself in a month's-long search, we did the only thing we could: bought a Euro M635csi. :love:

View attachment 124229

It's sort of like my old CSL's more refined and better dressed nephew. Can't wait to take delivery.

I've had my eye on that very M635 for quite a while. Congrats!! That is a great one, love that interior!

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I talked my wife into the Gladiator. I think we paid $47k for her 2018 Wrangler Sahara new, we had it for 3 years and put 45k miles on it. The Jeep dealer gave us $41K in trade. It's hard to believe what decent desirable used cars are going for right now.

Attachments

• IMG_5020.jpg
    IMG_5020.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5033.jpg
    IMG_5033.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 82

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've had my eye on that very M635 for quite a while. Congrats!! That is a great one, love that interior!
First saw it about 6 weeks ago, the interior especially grabbed me too. I had bid on the BaT M635 to $81K but was as high as I'd go. This one is one owner, has far less mileage, all records and a great color. I was surprised it hadn't sold, when I called the dealer they had scheduled it for BaT in a couple weeks. Sent a PPI agency who gave a great review,
offered a fair number and done. Has a couple of minor needs (door rubber, windscreen washer is non-op) but otherwise as described.

Feels a bit odd in a way though... because it's the newest old car we've ever bought!

You aren't kidding about what dealers are offering for some models. A friend that works for Napleton related a story just like yours yesterday.
They basically gave the guy a new car for his two-year-old trade-in Toyota Tacoma! Jeeps and trucks are especially hot right now. Nice blue, BTW!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought a low mileage cpo 2013 Cayenne turbo in may that I could sell at a profit now. Crazy.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I talked my wife into the Gladiator. I think we paid $47k for her 2018 Wrangler Sahara new, we had it for 3 years and put 45k miles on it. The Jeep dealer gave us $41K in trade. It's hard to believe what decent desirable used cars are going for right now.

Holy crap! I heard about the shortage. Maybe I should trade in our 2016 minivan. It has under $30K on it.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
^^^ Sweet. Nice Mustang and 'Vette, too.

What flavor SL, and auto or manual? A '68 was the first car my wife bought for herself when her income jumped.

Binder1_Page_54 (2).jpg

Took me way too long to restore (3 liter restomod!) but we love our 280, it's a comfortable daily and terrific event car.

1909+Maple+Mille-40.jpg
1909+Maple+Mille-317.jpg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I earlier posted a couple of pics of my 'other' cars - one of them I've had since I was in High School.. coming up on 40 years now.
Jeezzee - I am getting old - LOL

I found a pic a fella took of me driving my Mustang in the Homecoming parade back in (I figure) 1980 or 1981... Fun times...
I remember that day - kinda.
FYI - the building in the background burned down a few years ago... Just the brick facade is there now...

Attachments

• CARPENTER_SHS_503.jpg
    CARPENTER_SHS_503.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 93

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I earlier posted a couple of pics of my 'other' cars - one of them I've had since I was in High School.. coming up on 40 years now.
Jeezzee - I am getting old - LOL

I found a pic a fella took of me driving my Mustang in the Homecoming parade back in (I figure) 1980 or 1981... Fun times...
I remember that day - kinda.
FYI - the building in the background burned down a few years ago... Just the brick facade is there now...

I love that picture! So cool that you still have the car you had in high school! I wish I would have been able to keep my '68 Camaro convertible that I bought when I was 15. Here are some poor quality pictures of that car, the Pagada I restored when our girls were really young, and my Cougar in front of the first house I flipped before we got married.

I always preferred ragtops but with the windows down and the sunroof open, the coupe is the next best thing. I must really like blue cars. :)

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 83

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
After a month's long unfulfilled search for the right Lancia Flaminia coupe, we kept it German and bought another W111. This one's a 1970 3.5 with floor shift and sunroof.
Two prior owners, all records and though it was born without air or electric windows, I'm probably going to change that. Compared to nearly everything else in our garage
it's like driving a Barcalounger. We love it. Once owned a '67 250SE almost identical to this, but really wanted a bit more power. The itch has been scratched.

20220218_173216 (2).jpg
20220323_153040 (2).jpg
20220323_153258 (2).jpg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
After a month's long unfulfilled search for the right Lancia Flaminia coupe, we kept it German and bought another W111. This one's a 1970 3.5 with floor shift and sunroof.
Two prior owners, all records and though it was born without air or electric windows, I'm probably going to change that. Compared to nearly everything else in our garage
it's like driving a Barcalounger. We love it. Once owned a '67 250SE almost identical to this, but really wanted a bit more power. The itch has been scratched.

View attachment 155499View attachment 155500View attachment 155501
I really like the wood dash and trim in the 3.5 coupe. The wood up next to the windshield must tuff to remove and restore in any of these Mercedes. How is the fit between the front and rear windows in this model?

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen! These are sweet cruisers, and being pillarless like the E9 makes for an airy cabin.

Pretty sure any metal sunroof on a German car is from Golde... on these, they're huge. Yes, the windshield wood (lower) Is a pain. Right side not too bad, left side requires the tach be removed for access. 10mm tiny ratchet with extension. Window fit is perfect, the car has had one respray but thankfully was never taken apart. The interior leather and wool carpets are aged just right. Will likely bring up the exterior cosmetics along with adding AC and power windows, but keep the interior as is. Our old 250 was ivory with red... might do a color change. From a long time and 80 pounds ago:

Binder1_Page_19 (3).jpg

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen! These are sweet cruisers, and being pillarless like the E9 makes for an airy cabin.

Pretty sure any metal sunroof on a German car is from Golde... on these, they're huge. Yes, the windshield wood (lower) Is a pain. Right side not too bad, left side requires the tach be removed for access. 10mm tiny ratchet with extension. Window fit is perfect, the car has had one respray but thankfully was never taken apart. The interior leather and wool carpets are aged just right. Will likely bring up the exterior cosmetics along with adding AC and power windows, but keep the interior as is. Our old 250 was ivory with red... might do a color change. From a long time and 80 pounds ago:
http://www.mbzponton.org/ponton3/colorcht/colorcht.htm
Resource I have no doubt you've bookmarked amidst your 5000 bookmarks. I know this is the 50s, but Mercedes had better color choices compared to a decade later IMO (at least until the late 70s when the 107 cars started getting some cool choices that were almost never ordered)

218 lime green, 213 pearl green, 380 dolphin blue, 304 horizon blue (saw on a gullwing, beautiful)

The 107s had so many cool colors. It's hard to choose 877 blue green, 880 cactus green (would look good on an E9 imo, reminds me of the Frua E9 along with 874 citrus green), 934 china blue, 504 English red, 931 magnetite blue (wow!)

Cowards at Mercedes will never make a real color ever again!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From the Ponton Page, see footnote 1(a). I have those paint pamphlets that are extremely rare and I would like to find a new home for them.