Open House at Local BMW Dealer

m_thompson

Reaction score
Our local BMW dealer had an open house yesterday to introduce the 2012 models. I parked our 3.0CS in a visitors spot right in front of the entrance door. I had some interesting conversations with the salesmen. Most were younger than the CS. They were surprised to see that it had the same side grills as the new M3. One said that the front looked like a "shark" and had no idea that it was the nickname of the 630CSi. Some asked if it was an old 3-series. The new 750LI is pretty cool, but really big. I wonder if that beast of an engine would fit in the CS? When I was leaving my CA said that the CS attracted more attention than the 2012 models.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The couple of times I have pulled into the dealer parking lot to inquire at the parts desk caused the staff to pour out of the building to have a look at the alien creature on the property, circling and observing it from every angle, and peeking inside. You're right, coupes get more attention than the new models, but dang the new ones are nice!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Went to a local chapter meeting at the local BMW "store" a couple of years ago. The showroom was filled with "M" car owners. My coupe also emptied the showroom.

Right Mario, nothing compares, nothing ever will.

Steve

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
The new cars just don’t have the stainless, chrome & aluminum trim to break them up. I’m sure they are fast with those V8 engines and handle great but to my old body man’s eyes they look sorta plain. Our coupes are like a good looking women wearing really tasteful jewelry, almost the pieces work together to make a great package :-D:-D:-D. ~ John Buchtenkirch

echappe

Reaction score
new ones

I don't know if everyone on this list is familiar with the BMW CCA publication Roundel but the letters to the editor are a litany of horror stories of maintenance issues on cars that are near or slightly out of the 50K warranty period. None of the fixes, which run the gamut from computer systems and sensors to plastic gaskets failing and alloy blocks warping, are inexpensive fixes. Some time spent at my local independent BMW shop was a surprising parade of late model cars coming in on flatbeds; others in slowmotion mode.
Ernest

JohnHein

Reaction score
Currently living in Houston North suburbs
The true heir to the E9 is the 6 series coupe, but I just never warmed to them after some initial tingles. Price will numb the tingles. I really like the 335 with the mechanical top. Anyone know if those tops are problematic after 50k miles or so?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My local guy also has described the horrors: misdiagnoses by the dealer resulting in $1000's of unnecessary work, poor quality parts located in places that require many expensive hours of labor to reach, random expensive component failure, etc. Very high parts costs. I would not own a newer one out of warranty and would sell just before it is.

I don't know if everyone on this list is familiar with the BMW CCA publication Roundel but the letters to the editor are a litany of horror stories of maintenance issues on cars that are near or slightly out of the 50K warranty period. None of the fixes, which run the gamut from computer systems and sensors to plastic gaskets failing and alloy blocks warping, are inexpensive fixes. Some time spent at my local independent BMW shop was a surprising parade of late model cars coming in on flatbeds; others in slowmotion mode.
Ernest

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The true heir to the E9 is the 6 series coupe, but I just never warmed to them after some initial tingles. Price will numb the tingles. I really like the 335 with the mechanical top. Anyone know if those tops are problematic after 50k miles or so?

But the new 6er is a BOAT. I parked my CS next to a new 3er and even that car is bigger, bulkier and less elegant. No thank you. I will keep the 1973 CS

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score

Ditto on the newer six series. There is something compelling about the new five series though. I can't quite place my finger on what it is, but I do know that, in my eyes at least, they managed to make it look smaller which for me is a good thing. I do like the 335 and the new Z4 as well; however, I had to scratch them off the list after I went to the dealership and saw that the folding hard top takes up all of the trunk space when down; the Z4 didn't even have room for a set of golf clubs with the top up.

-Walt