OMG it's sooo cold, it cracked my paint!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
To be clear, this is no one's fault, especially the paint shop, Bennyz Rod Shop. They did an amazing job given my very limited budget. This was not a bare metal restoration, but a relatively cheap paint job that turned out amazing. I don't think it was the repair shop's fault either, but would have been nice if they stored the car inside as I asked. I was more concerned about rain/snow/rust, but it never occurred to me that it would get so cold to crack the paint. File this under, "shit happens." Sucks but no one's fault.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
That really sucks to see. Unfortunately this is one of those components of 50-year-old car and not knowing what’s under the paint. You never know how many times something was done quickly to sell. Hopefully the filler isn’t in a Wile E. Coyote shape.
Exactly! Benny warned me of this, as did many of you. No regrets, other than not making sure the shop stored it inside.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can't imagine a shop leaving a $100,000.00 car outside during anytime of the year. Parts cars go outside.
Customers cars go inside unless the customer agrees to leave it outside at their own risk because there is no room inside.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can't imagine a shop leaving a $100,000.00 car outside during anytime of the year. Parts cars go outside.
Customers cars go inside unless the customer agrees to leave it outside at their own risk because there is no room inside.
I agree

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Benny didn't do a bare metal restore. This was only a $7500 paint job if memory serves me, that ended up being much more than that but never intended to be a "proper" restoration. I agree that no shop should be required to store inside necessarily, and I do drive it in the cold, but not -15 degrees. I think this is just one of those things....
You have a great attitude about it, it can be fixed.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have a great attitude about it, it can be fixed.
The way I view this there are two ways to go at this. One is to point fingers at everyone and one is to just say shit happens. Frankly, I could’ve gone either way. I figured the second wave was easier.

Looks like insurance will cover it under their comprehensive coverage. Apparently there is coverage for things like extreme weather.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That really sucks to see. Unfortunately this is one of those components of 50-year-old car and not knowing what’s under the paint. You never know how many times something was done quickly to sell. Hopefully the filler isn’t in a Wile E. Coyote shape.
They do make Wile E. Coyote stickers for that, saw one the other day, made me laugh. Splattered on a door dent, that's Idaho body work I guess, just slap a sticker on it.

Regarding what to do. I like your first response in that, "shit happens." Especially seeing the amount of filler. It's a tough call but maybe this is the sign to have the body and paint properly done this Spring or might as well get on it now with the cold weather, I am the same boat here in CD'A, it's been unusually cold (hence "climate change vs. global warming." The climate does change, imagine that, it's called "Winter."

Like me, you are in a bit of a bind living where you do. I assume your guy is local since you left it there overnight. You don't necessarily want to bite the only hand that feeds you. Meaning, I bet there aren't too many shops around willing to work on your car that you trust will do a good job, etc. Make them feel bad, sure, but in a way that won't entirely piss them off as you may not be able to mend that relationship. I've had stuff like that happen, sometimes the person/shop owner not even telling me they damaged my car when they knew something happened. That is worse to me than owning up to it and dealing with it, good or bad. Needless to say, I will never do business with those people again. Had they manned up and told me what happened, that it was an accident etc. in the first place then we move, forward, and chalk that up to, "hey.....shit happens."

Only thing I would do different is go to another body/paint shop. I'm assuming that happened at your mechanics shop, not the body shop.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sad to see that.

It is so hard to find a good bodyshop once man-hour costs so much and the goal (to make things done) is more important than the way to achieve it.

1675185361540.png

Unfortunately bond is taking humidity out of the air.
But - what is worse - has different temperature expansion than steel. That is why many professional shops use heating for removing bondo rather than grinding. Clean and easy task for bond-based cars.
The rule of thumb is that bondo should be limited to micrometers range not more.

In the end fuel consumption will drop probably which is a good in a bad.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just talked to the mechanic shop. They admitted it should have been left inside, but had issues with their door or something. They seem like they are going to be cooperative. I think this is what insurance is for, both mechanic shop and my insurance. I started a claim with my insurance and seems like it will be covered under comprehensive coverage due to "weather" issues. Fingers crossed. Any ideas on approx cost to have BennyZ repair?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but still relevant. So your insurance is covering the job under the comprehensive, i.e. "extreme weather." And I have been reading that the cracking of dashboards on 2002s(I assume it applies to Coupes and...)can occur when there are extreme, quick drops in temperature, perhaps someone with documented meterological proof can put in a claim for extreme weather cracking the expensive dash. Worth a try.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but still relevant. So your insurance is covering the job under the comprehensive, i.e. "extreme weather." And I have been reading that the cracking of dashboards on 2002s(I assume it applies to Coupes and...)can occur when there are extreme, quick drops in temperature, perhaps someone with documented meterological proof can put in a claim for extreme weather cracking the expensive dash. Worth a try.
I think it is a stretch to get cracked dash. In this case, the car was fine on Friday pm, and destroyed on Monday am. Sunday night it was below -15 degrees

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
when I saw the title 'cold cracked the paint' I was wondering why that would happen until I saw the filler, when I was a kid, all our cars were outside, -30 below, and it never hurt the paint

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
when I saw the title 'cold cracked the paint' I was wondering why that would happen until I saw the filler, when I was a kid, all our cars were outside, -30 below, and it never hurt the paint
My initial reaction was the same - growing up in WI we regularly saw temperatures below zero and never had paint damage, even on the crappy old Pontiacs I used to prefer.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shortly after I got my E12 M535i running, I left it with a friends shop to deal with a couple of leaks and it wasn’t something I had time to do. They left my car outside in July waiting for me to pick it up with all the windows up and it ruined my Just Dashes dash. Started lifting everywhere. It was outside in the sun for a couple hours. It didn’t need to be but that’s how it went.

I ended up arguing with Just Dashes for weeks and it took nearly a year but they did redo it and have removed references to their dashes handling “decades of blazing heat,” etc.

It wasn’t fun to deal with having to undo so much of the work to redo the dash plus all of the other issues that came with it but it’s handled and I did get a better quality product in the end despite still not being perfect.

It’s tricky with shops where cars like this aren’t their bread and butter and they’re a liability versus something like an E46 or an E90.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have been with State Farm for decades. They covered me when I took my coupe to High Performance Driver's Schools. The key word was "school."

We had a 100' tree fall across the front of our house, note, Not On. Took out the roof on our garage, no damage below where the coupe was parked. Tree fell Saturday, adjuster on Monday.
A shall we say "generous check" cut that day. One metal, hard wired walkway light that was damaged: he ordered it online, came in three days.

Only good things to say about SF.