Ofest 2015 in NJ. Going?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm all about the social aspect, I love to show my car yet don't care about trophies. I'd rather have media coverage with my car in it, print, online and video is better than winning an award. Besides I have a trunk full of trophies from my prewar cars. Athena did get Best in Class at a local Pcar event in the rain. :shock:

Bill Williams is hoping for the Parker Spooner with his pristine 2000tii Touring. He only drives from the garage onto the trailer and off to the grass. Pebble Beach quality in, out and under.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Simeone museum is great.

My take on the dwindling concours entrants, having entered mine at Birmingham a few years ago (Gary, remember the 528 with the q-tips pointing to the dead fly on the parcel shelf?) is that it is a only a clean car contest, no provisions for originality or correctness, so imho time is better spent chatting and pounding Spaten in the display area. Especially if you drive a long way to get there.

Keep us posted on who wins the Parker Spooner award!
+1 ... i thought i had a pic of the "Q-tip arrow" and the dead fly, but i don't. wasn't that 5 series from one of the guys from Odometer Gears?

totally agree on the Spaten idea.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score

My take on the dwindling concours entrants, having entered mine at Birmingham a few years ago (Gary, remember the 528 next to mine with the q-tips pointing to the dead fly on the parcel shelf?) is that it is a only a clean car contest, no provisions for originality or correctness, so imho time is better spent chatting and pounding Spaten in the display area. Especially if you drive a long way to get there.

Supposedly they have gotten away from the q-tip judging but I haven't seen the new system yet. I think they used it in Colorado last year but did not enter my car, only display.
Since I haven't been driving the M5 to these events I haven't had a car judged since 2011.
I will find out this year how they are judging.

I won the Parker Spooner last year in Colorado.
The rule for Parker Spooner says 2800CS or 3.0CS so not sure the 2000 can be considered. I'm not an expert and maybe he has checked.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They didn't use q-tips in 2013 and the 2000CS is not an e9, they messed that one up in 2013 as well. They don't have a Clean category for Vintage cars either but do for every other class even though there are more entries in this class.

If you think changes should be considered then speak up or nothing will change. Send an e-mail to Steve Johnson.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes it was the OG guys, they had a team of cleaners yet somehow missed the huge fly - hilarious. I thought I had a pic too :cry:

I am out of the concours game from here on out, too much work and I have my Spooner award and am retiring (no one needs to know I was the only e9 that year and missed the award ceremony due to over-imbibing).

+1 ... i thought i had a pic of the "Q-tip arrow" and the dead fly, but i don't. wasn't that 5 series from one of the guys from Odometer Gears?

totally agree on the Spaten idea.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes it was the OG guys, they had a team of cleaners yet somehow missed the huge fly - hilarious. I thought I had a pic too :cry:

I am out of the concours game from here on out, too much work and I have my Spooner award and am retiring (no one needs to know I was the only e9 that year and missed the award ceremony due to over-imbibing).
yes ... and i was trying to call you to get you down to receive your award. too much spaten

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They didn't use q-tips in 2013 and the 2000CS is not an e9, they messed that one up in 2013 as well. They don't have a Clean category for Vintage cars either but do for every other class even though there are more entries in this class.

If you think changes should be considered then speak up or nothing will change. Send an e-mail to Steve Johnson.

I have and it didn't do much good. I haven't entered a car since that time. I didn't have a car in CA at the 2013 event to talk about.

One thing to remember here is this is a volunteer job. I'm not defending anyone, just that this is the reality of an event like this.
You also have a lot of personalities to contend with.

Goetz Pfafflin ran it before the current person.

Chris, do you mean a "super clean" category for the Vintage class?
Because there is a clean class for Vintage/Classic.
In fact it says clean only.
You could also enter the Concours Original for a restored period correct car.
You're up against everything entered in that category but if a really good car like yours is then you would do well.
I know you are thinking about next year when there will be 25-30 coupes in Monterey.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Well if the truth be known I was the only E9 in Colorado that participated in anything except for Scott Hughes in his CSL.
Here again it had to be a CS that wins the Spooner award or Scott would have won.

Last edited:

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score

My take on the dwindling concours entrants, having entered mine at Birmingham a few years ago (Gary, remember the 528 next to mine with the q-tips pointing to the dead fly on the parcel shelf?) is that it is a only a clean car contest, no provisions for originality or correctness, so imho time is better spent chatting and pounding Spaten in the display area. Especially if you drive a long way to get there.

If its a clean car contest, then why is there a Concours Original class?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary, yes, I meant they don't have a Super Clean. Every other category has both, they say so newer cars will enter but each of the other categories gets only one or two entries and all walk away with a trophy. Including you know who!

In 2013 the website had a Super Clean category, entrants got a SC dash card, there were signs for SC parking and yet no judges showed up. When you know who was asked why, they replied "we never have Vintage SC." The Clean class judges then had to judge five more cars as Clean, probably 15 cars in total. The vintage class equaled all other classes combined excluding Concours. Room for discussion and improvement I would say, you and I have spoken up, I hope others will as well.

I have never heard that a CSL couldn't win the Spooner award, it's for an e9 after all.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If its a clean car contest, then why is there a Concours Original class?

It is the only category where originality is considered, unfortunately we don't have experts for every model so even it gets subjective. Better not tell them if you have a 5 speed and hope they don't notice the 16" Alpinas.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is the only category where originality is considered, unfortunately we don't have experts for every model so even it gets subjective. Better not tell them if you have a 5 speed and hope they don't notice the 16" Alpinas.

Len's coupe is completely original. If they know anything about E9s he should win! It is a lovely car.

bimmerlon

Reaction score
The Parker Spooner award is for "the 2800cs or 3.0 cs that has the best performance at Ofest" I am lobbying here to include the CSL .That may take some time.The "L" is not included in the rule Parker made years ago.
I don' t pick the winner but I usually get ask to present the award as the care taker of the car.
The Harmon Fischer award is given to " the most original round tail light
2002 at Ofest "
Just Sayin!
Also: When Ofest is over the Pope will be in Philly that weekend.Travel in the Philly area may be very limited!
Lonny

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score

So its more like "French" judging!

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Len's coupe is completely original. If they know anything about E9s he should win! It is a lovely car.

Thanks Stan. Not completely original, but pretty close. Just hope I can make it and that the lovely weather we've been having holds!

TodB

Reaction score
The pains you guys go through for showing your cars is amazing to me. Do you ever just drive and enjoy them or do you just keep cleaning, shining and obsessing on originality?

No offense intended of course :razz:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I obsessively drive mine. Athena is for show and go. Have to keep it clean, to keep it as new is my spirit's dream.

The pains you guys go through for showing your cars is amazing to me. Do you ever just drive and enjoy them or do you just keep cleaning, shining and obsessing on originality?

No offense intended of course :razz: