Nova program on autonomous driving cars

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched a pbs program (Nova) that spent some time on autonomous driving cars.
I find PBS programs fairly strongly biased (to the left, which is ok by me). This one was fairly neutral about the topic, and I especially liked that they called out some thing that scare me about the new tech.
(1) you'll be asked to take back control primarily in emergency situations where you need fast reflexes and quick judgement. Hard to do if you've been just woken up from a nice nap.
(2) The times the system won't work and will need manual intervention will tend to be the most difficult driving conditions (blizzards, etc. ) Because people will manually drive so much less often, they'll be much less well equipped to handle those challenging situations. Essentially, it'll reduce driver experience and aptitude and then only ask us to drive when the conditions require the highest ability. While overall crashes will go down, the crash rate for manual-driving situations will shoot up dramatically.

At the 31min mark, the story mentions that some drivers prefer a more engaging driving experience (e.g. see less value in autonomous drive). They featured a 10sec clip of a car with a roundel. I had to rewind to check but alas it wasn't an E9 . . . just a pedestrian Inka orange pre-74 BMW 2002 with 4 speed manual shift gearbox and kiddies in the back seat. Too bad.

John

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I saw it also. This is already happening with the lane change warning, automatic braking when too close etc.

Because people will manually drive so much less often, they'll be much less well equipped to handle those challenging situations. Essentially, it'll reduce driver experience and aptitude and then only ask us to drive when the conditions require the highest ability.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I've got that on my DVR and am really looking forward to it. I wanted to watch it, but want to see it with my boys, 9 and 13. NOVA is one of those shows I can get them to watch with me and discussion of safety and mindless adoption of technology should be interesting talking points.

I will make a prediction that driverless cars will not be widely adopted in the foreseeable future. I know the technology exists today to do it, and do it well, but human beings are complex, and when some vehicles are autonomous and some not people will drive differently. I for one, will be jaywalking right in front of autonomous cars, because, they're gonna stop, right? And if you're in that car you're gonna be pissed! :)