New to the forum - Two Bavaria Restorations in progress

edb

Reaction score
I've been using this site for many years to guide me through these restorations and now I think I've accumulated enough knowledge that I might be able to be helpful to other members. This information was posted on the new member introductions string but I was encouraged to start a new string here.
Here's little background on these projects with pics.

In 2014 a Bavaria 4 speed that's been in my family since new in 1971 was given to be (see orange car below). It had been sitting in a barn for about 10 years and had over 200K on it. It's a New England car that was Zebart'ed when new. It was ordered from the factory in Colorado Orange which was a 2002 color at the time . Anyway - when I jacked it up it collapsed through the frame rail. The interior was almost perfect and everything was there except the body was unrepairable.

I took a shot and found a picked over Bavaria automatic in San Bernadino CA took a leap of faith, bought it site unseen, then had it shipped to New Hampshire. See Blue Car below. This car is completely rust free. I have not come across even one bolt that didn't come off easily.

From there I did Body Work on the blue Bav. took the body off the subframes, swapped the 4 speed and all component parts and the interior from the orange car to the blue one.

Tested the engine outside the car.

Put everything back together and have been driving it and debugging it for the last 3 years. Now it's ready for paint- Found a local guy who works from his barn with 42 years painting experience. He's taking it next spring/summer.

It needs a new windshield (small crack in passenger corner) which proved to be difficult to find so I ended up purchasing another Bavaria from Florida to get spare parts and a windshield. This one turned out to be so solid that I'll be restoring it as well. (see the black bavaria photo). As a surprise bonus this one has a 5 speed.

Attachments​

• Donor Bavaria.JPG
    Colorado Orange - first car that became the donor car
  • 16.jpg
    Rust free car from California
  • 18.jpg
    Engine and front subframe removal
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    DIY Engine test rig
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    Engine compartment now
  • Current.jpg
    Ready for paint next spring/summer
  • Black BAV.jpg
    Black BAV.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
One reason to not lift a car by the frame rails.

Welcome. Where are you in Boston?

rblongboarder

Reaction score
Ah!

I wondered who purchased the Black Bavaria from the Tampa area in Florida... I remember looking at the Craigslist
ad because the mileage was low:

I look forward to following your restoration progress.

edb

Reaction score
The person I bought it from was liquidating Mercedes Benz repair business whose owner had passed away and this car came with lots if spare parts.

That's true about the green paint; Good eye. It looks like the car was in an accident and the owner was in the process of replacing the driver front fender and driver door. Those were green and it looks like he used a rattle can to paint them black. The color name under the hood is "Schwarz". I gave the car a once over (changed the oil, checked compression and used an external fuel source to see if it starts. It did!) then put it up for the winter. It's definitely a worthy project.