New Texas member saying Hi!

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been lurking a while but just joined up and wanted to say hello. Looking for my first E9 project (looking at one tomorrow!) so once I get something I’m sure I’ll have more questions for everyone. In the meantime, how’s the aftermarket for these models? Favorite vendors? any particular parts that are unobtanium?

Looking forward to being a part of the group.

cheers
Dave

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Love your avatar. is that your car. I'm building a 507 special as was lucky enough to get a lot of parts a while back. Long term project :)
As for the E9 most of the drive train and motor stuff can be sourced either new from Wallies, or members here second hand. Depends what variant you want to own. CSL specific stuff is pretty difficult to find unless you have a good network. AMHIK :)

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you Wes! Good information. Looking forward to learning in more about the E9s. The one I’m looking at later this morning is an automatic and that would have to be swapped out for a 5spd conversion at some point, but we’ll see. Getting involved in a new make/model is a steep learning curve when it comes to sources and such.

Cheers
Dave

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck in your search. Between various parts suppliers and the generous/knowledgeable forum members, most if not all parts are available (eventually). Where in TX are you - there are several members there you should get to know.

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. A great resource. I was looking at one for sale earlier and through the VIN info here, found out it was a converted auto but the seller wasn’t aware. The power of enthusiast!:):cool: I’m just South of Ft. Worth by about twenty minutes. I’ll keep you all posted on my search!

cheers
Dave

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been lurking a while but just joined up and wanted to say hello. Looking for my first E9 project (looking at one tomorrow!) so once I get something I’m sure I’ll have more questions for everyone. In the meantime, how’s the aftermarket for these models? Favorite vendors? any particular parts that are unobtanium?

Looking forward to being a part of the group.

cheers
Dave
Welcome Dave!
Some parts of my answer may get me in trouble, but courage is saying the right things regardless of the consequences :).

The aftermarket for parts is solid for mechanicals, except the 5 speed Getrag transmissions that are getting hard to find or repair due to one specific part being NLA. Trim is hard to come by, rust is repairable given panel availability in Germany, but labor costs have skyrocketed, so avoid rust if you can.

SFDon in San Francisco, Carl Nelson in San Diego, and a few other experts across the country are "one stop shop" for advice and actual repair work on E9s.

The market for classics seems to be shifting to a buyer's market, as suggested by price trends.
I see this as the combination of:
- Inflation/recession/layoffs
- Concerns about regulatory forces relegating ICE cars going forward away from streets into museums
- Some appeal of classic cars I think was as:
unique things that appreciate due to scarcity,
not having to justify purchase value (for laundering),
not paying capital gains (for appreciation),
ability to transact in cash and document a fraction of the value,
relative ease of storage (compared to real estate)

All the above are now easier done with Hunter Biden art, or equivalent...

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome!

This might be interesting.

5-speed conversion:

Parts:

Don't be shy and look on the FAQ section deeper.

The "Search" option will also be your guiding light. :D

Let the E9 be with You!

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks men! Well, I’m an owner. Details tomorrow with more pics!
7292CD27-72A1-45E8-9E98-295645922698.jpeg

cheers
dave

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks men! Well, I’m an owner. Details tomorrow with more pics!

cheers
dave

It is nice of it's own kind. Not sure how popular it is in US, but having all mechanics being sorted out you might keep in the condition as it is and make people believe old cars can drive with not much of a care of the paint. ;-)

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you!! I’ll have to come up with a game plan. I’m excited! Will be a fun adventure. Looking forward to sharing more.

cheers
dave

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
It appears my Coupe is the 6th from the last one made for US spec CSAs in 1971. I was going to register it on the site but can’t sign up for that. Any ideas? I was also want to donate to the site to help the forum out. I do that on all the forums I’m on since it‘s such a wealth of knowledge and a great resource to help keep up. How do I do that too?

Car gets dropped off later this morning! I’m excited!

Cheers
Dave

Edit: Donated to the site but forgot to add my username for the badge. Whoops!

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the madness.
You seem to have found a car pretty quickly. It took me almost three years to find mine!

I would encourage you to readily ask questions here. There are a ton really helpful people here who freely share their knowledge, and you can avoid silly mistakes (ask me how I know).

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. Yeah, I just stumbled on this one and it’s only :30 minutes from me. Think I lucked out. And if you think of the future time/$/work involved, I’m not sure which way that luck is skewed!o_O

Fortunately, I’m no stranger to restorations having done several and I’m able to do everything myself minus engine machining and such. Although I’m brand new to the E9 arena so I’m looking forward to learning more.

Prost!
Dave

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love it. You can't take too many photos, and you'll use them. Looking forward to your restoration thread. :cool:

A12pilot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It got here this morning and I’ve been crawling all over it. It’s positively aweful and I love it! o_O :cool:
2F8FFB2B-FB56-4B39-83C0-8BCFD1AC2037.jpeg

22E18929-87A1-4AB1-B182-36CFE9C12FA9.jpeg

3BB51DEB-EC76-478A-AF9F-441377AFE38E.jpeg

18944888-4A16-4968-A157-1E2015EEC445.jpeg

Prost,
Dave