"New" 2016 e9 Coupe

66toaster

Reaction score
I have always found the coupe to be very practical & from time to time think about using it full time. If you were to use your coupe for a daily driver in 2016 (except for snow & ice,) what improvements would you make? I know I would definitely want a 5-speed plus a little more power & some sort of heavy duty undercoating/rustproofing that would get into all the nooks & crannies. I suppose it's not possible to add airbags.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
If you plan on driving the Schuykill Expressway or 95 I would suggest upgrading your taillights to the brightest they can be and making sure your cooling system is in peak condition!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am making and/or planning a handful of improvements to my coupe, although generally seeking to maintain its character. Assuming your car is already well sorted (battery grounds, water pump, etc...)

Here is my "modernization" list, so far:

-- H4 headlights
-- A low beam relay
-- A starter relay
-- A Getrag 5 speed
-- Additional sound deadening/heat shielding behind the rear seat, on the rear parcel shelf, under the carpet and along the firewall
-- Schroth four point racing harnesses
-- A 140 amp alternator
-- A new AGM battery
-- A whole car battery cut off switch
-- A center rear brake light
-- Upgraded cooling fan and aluminum radiator
-- Electronic, programmable distributor
-- Lighter 15" wheels and modern tires
-- And maybe a modern stereo with bluetooth telephone

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like all o fthe ones Ohmess recommends, one of which I HIGHLY recommend, and I've done - the higher brake light. I got one from a Chevrolet Aveo, which is an appropriate size. With a few modest modifications, it is mounted on the package shelf, in the middle.

When I was driving the car home to PA from RI where I bought it, I saw WAY TOO MANY big SUV's hanging close to my rear bumper on the I-XX highways. I often wondered if they (frequently a short lady at the steering wheel) could even see my brake lights over the hood of their 'truck'. Within 100 miles, I concluded that if I was really going to drive the car, a bright braking light in the rear window was a necessary modification.

PS: IF you do this and get a used high brake light, try to get the connector with pigtail wiring. I did not, so had to solder connectors onto the + and - bar inside the light body. And also - I LOVE the overdrive 5 speed (had an OE 4 speed in the '73 I had).

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I second Ohmess' suggestions of relays, head lights, and alternator.

Oil pressure and volt gauges are good as they can alert you to declining conditions before it's too late and the idiot lights come on. I also just swapped my AFR gauge out for an oil temp gauge to complete my dash cluster.

I added special brighter brake light bulbs from Honda in addition to a 3rd light.

If you're going to drive in rain consider Lokari fender inserts

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have always found the coupe to be very practical & from time to time think about using it full time. If you were to use your coupe for a daily driver in 2016 (except for snow & ice,) what improvements would you make? I know I would definitely want a 5-speed plus a little more power & some sort of heavy duty undercoating/rustproofing that would get into all the nooks & crannies. I suppose it's not possible to add airbags.

it is always a surprise to find the definitely need for more power as a starting point, i will find absolutely scary to get more horse power inside my hood, it might be a reason, but i can not find it, nevermind

airbags ? you'd better weld a strong cage to recover part of the rigidity removed by the absence of B pillars, oh, but we will be talking about a competely different car

rustproofing will be good, but do not forget to renew your door and rear panel's sealing foil, together with perfect rubber seals all around, and perfect fitting of doors and windows

put the spell on tip top mechanics, engine, ignition, fuel management, clutch, brakes, suspension, lights, and other electric elements as heater fans, heated rear window,...

if you are going to drive her in the rain resist the temptation of fitting wider tyres

loloe13

Reaction score
as one of the point mentioned by Ohmess, a THIRD brake light
also av jack/iPod connectivity is very handy
need some period correct sunglasses too

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Airbag on Coupe? The closest I can do is take a pillow from a sofa and hold it in front of the steering wheel.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I've driven my E3 every day for over 9 years, and my list of modifications include:

3.5l M30B35 w/Webers
5-speed
3.25 LSD in my E28 rear axle
RC090 wheels
Vented front brakes from an E12
105A alternator
MSD Ignition
big stereo
Subaru bucket seats
Aluminum Radiator
2-speed electric cooling fan
upgraded guibo

The car has been extremely reliable, it drives straight, runs cool and cruises easily at 85-90 down I-5 on my regular trips to San Diego.

I'm looking for the trunk mounted third brake light off an E30 convertible to add to my rear visibility.

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
4-point seat belts without a helmet and HANS device will cause instant death in an accident. Save them for your track/race car.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wouldn't drive it everyday. You drive any car everyday and you just get tired of it. 45 year old car, driving it everyday will be tiresome.

Unless your commute is less than 15 minutes, I'd drive something else as a DD.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
My first thought was to add disc brakes, anti-diesel solenoids, and a third brake light. Then I thought more about my long, slow commute. An eta motor, smog equipment, 4 speed automatic and 175-14 tires would make sense, but that would soil the experience of driving the car.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
4-point seat belts without a helmet and HANS device will cause instant death in an accident. Save them for your track/race car.

I get this a lot.

While this may generally be true, Schroth specifically designed the Autocontrol II system to avoid the "submarining" that can occur when using racing harnesses on the street.

I know Mario Langston at VSR uses these for his customers. While visiting his shop this fall, I saw two street cars with these systems that Mario had installed. Moreover, Mario and I had a conversation about Schroth's concerns that individual consumers may not properly install the yaw/deceleration sensors (which I recall because I felt I was being quizzed on locating and leveling the sensors in an e9 in order to provide a data point that Mario could feedback to Schroth).

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I will probably get banned from the forum for this but... the original question was "If you were to use your coupe as a daily driver, what improvement would you make?".

It's easy. You get your coupe in nice running condition with either the original motor or a slight upgrade, keep that mostly for the weekend where pure driving enjoyment can be savored.

And THEN... you find a rolling shell, and convert it to electric drive! I have an EV as my daily and once you get a taste of the smooth, quiet, reliable, incredibly fast and, if you have solar panels, clean power provided by an electric motor, you will wonder why anyone still drives an ICE car... at least for utilitarian work.

But be sure to keep the main one singing the 6 cylinder happy song for when you need a fix of course.

http://burnanenergyjournal.com/to-build-the-fastest-green-car-on-earth/

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@bcoli. Thank you. But the credit goes to another forum member (sorry I forgot who...) who posted this a few years ago. I found it by doing a search when I was wondering if anyone had tried this before.