My latest purchase - the humble Porsche 911 996

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The first water cooled generation of 911 and sharing some Boxster parts, arguably the 996 is the least liked 911. I think it's an awesome car at a great price. Purchased in Scottsdale, Arizona and drove it to San Jose, Ca. My latest purchase:

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
A few years ago you could find them for 20k all day long. They are definitely being recognized for what they are. A great, do everything sports car. Congratulations

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
And it's my understanding is that they look heavier than the preceding 993, they are not I have not driven one...yet. I like the look of the C4S, always on my radar for a DD.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice - I have a 997.1 with 150k on it. Had it for about 10 years now.
Very fun car... and as fast as I'd ever want to go.... legally or... not.
:)

These older 996 and 997's are just neat.
I was looking at air cooled also - but, water cooled for me was the way to go.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congratulations! I had a 2000 Boxster for nine years and loved it. I can give you some tips on the mostly small common maintenance items to be aware of. PM me if interested.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And it's my understanding is that they look heavier than the preceding 993, they are not I have not driven one...yet. I like the look of the C4S, always on my radar for a DD.
Yeah the C4S is nice looking and the improved suspension is cool too :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
great car / amazing price for a car with 36k miles ... you will enjoy. make sure the IMS bearing has been replaced. i drove the 2006 987.c1 for 5 years and the 997.c2 for 10 years. all are wonderful driving cars. i sold my 2011 S with 96k for $40k

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
great car / amazing price for a car with 36k miles ... you will enjoy. make sure the IMS bearing has been replaced. i drove the 2006 987.c1 for 5 years and the 997.c2 for 10 years. all are wonderful driving cars. i sold my 2011 S with 96k for $40k
Thanks rporsche - they gave me the old IMS bearing and I guess there is a serial number for the new one as well? This seems like a good organization (the seller). Thanks! If you don't mind can reach out to you if I have questions.

- Steve

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
glad the IMS bearing is solved already ... good former owner.

absolutely. happy to help if i can. i left my car 100% stock. the best advice is to get on renntech.org and rennlist.com and you will find a lot of technical information. you want to download the 996 parts list. there are a couple of dealers that do offer some discounts - there was one in the Portland area that used to be pretty good. there are a few 911 guys on this forum that can also steer you in the right direction.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
glad the IMS bearing is solved already ... good former owner.

absolutely. happy to help if i can. i left my car 100% stock. the best advice is to get on renntech.org and rennlist.com and you will find a lot of technical information. you want to download the 996 parts list. there are a couple of dealers that do offer some discounts - there was one in the Portland area that used to be pretty good. there are a few 911 guys on this forum that can also steer you in the right direction.
Sounds good, I'll start with getting bluetooth into my car :)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My friend had one for many years and loved it, it was fast, but gave it up when an old lady at a stoplight put it in reverse instead of drive and backed up onto his hood and stopped at the windshield.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sounds good, I'll start with getting bluetooth into my car :)
Porsche makes entirely new systems for these cars now. Just released.
I am thinking of putting one in my car. But with 150k on the clock, dunno if I will do that.
OK - I probably will.
I just need
@sfdon
to get my Coupe finished so I can lessen my distractions by one. LOL

Here is the 996 flavor...

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats. If you aren't already acquainted with Rennlist Forums, check them out. I don't know much about the 996 owners there, but having been a user and contributor to the Rennlist 928 Forum for over 20 years, I can say it is the most technically oriented and genuinely helpful forum I've ever found. e9 Coupe Forum is excellent, but not as many members, or nearly as much associated technology (e9's are just not as technically 'complicated' as Porsche 928's!!).

Link to 996 Forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/

Enjoy the ride - as the old 'TINS' saying (there is no substitute).

Gary

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Porsche makes entirely new systems for these cars now. Just released.
I am thinking of putting one in my car. But with 150k on the clock, dunno if I will do that.
OK - I probably will.
I just need
@sfdon
to get my Coupe finished so I can lessen my distractions by one. LOL

Here is the 996 flavor...
That is awesome, and original Porsche - I'll likely go that route, thanks!

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats. If you aren't already acquainted with Rennlist Forums, check them out. I don't know much about the 996 owners there, but having been a user and contributor to the Rennlist 928 Forum for over 20 years, I can say it is the most technically oriented and genuinely helpful forum I've ever found. e9 Coupe Forum is excellent, but not as many members, or nearly as much associated technology (e9's are just not as technically 'complicated' as Porsche 928's!!).

Link to 996 Forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/

Enjoy the ride - as the old 'TINS' saying (there is no substitute).

Gary
Thanks Gary - I'll definitely look to Rennlist for guidance!