More Euro vs US questions

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Sorry if this is redundant, but I did search. I'm doing some research on '71 2800CS that I hope to buy. It is in fact a euro model. I read the FAQ as seen below. Other than the interior differences, is there anything different about the 2.8 engine? It looks like the compression didn't change until the intro of the 3.0. Are there emissions differences on the 2800 euros? Anything else that is notable.

The car in question has standard roundels and the rear trim plate looks like aluminum, not plated brass. Also, the car has reflectors, which must have been applied when federalized. The car was originally intended for Italy, but was ultimately shipped to Germany. I've noticed other '71 2800's such as Mike's - Stanceworks E9 (gasp) also had reflectors although imported.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

5. What differences are there between US and European E9s?

There are major differences in US and Euro E9s. First, the compression ratio in the US 3.0CS was reduced to 8:1, while the Euro cars were 9:1, giving them more power. The US cars have side marker lights in the front and back, which go next to the main turn signals. The later (>73) US cars have additional smog equipment, such as an EGR system. Starting in 1974 the US versions came with large 5mph aluminum bumpers front and rear. Although these large bumpers are said to take away from the beautiful lines of the coupe, the 5mph crash bumpers work well and have saved a number of coupes over the years. Some owners prefer the later large bumpered cars if they do a lot of driving in the city or traffic. Later US coupes also have a "Fasten Seat Belt" light pod on the dash. The Euro gauges are in Metric, while the US ones are in standard. The heater vent controls are either in German or in the international symbols for Euro cars, while they are in English for the US cars. Euro cars also only had a lap belt, while US cars have stock shoulder belts. This is usually already fixed, as most of the Euro cars have shoulder belts added later on, either as part of the federalization process or the owner added them. The US also had slightly larger front turn signal lenses. A slight difference in Euro models can be seen in Italian coupes, which have a white and amber turn signal lens, rather than the all amber used everywhere else. French cars have yellow headlight lenses and amber reverse lights. All US models have DOT required spacers on top of R/L strut below inner engine compartment sheet metal to raise front end height approximately 1" to meet sealed beam headlight height requirements. Early cars had cloissoine roundels at "C' pillar and chromed brass trim between tailights which was changed to raised painted alum. roundels and anodized alum. during 1972 model run to reduce costs. Early cars had wider stock seats and seat back release mechanism at the hinge, by 1971 a small lever mounted on outside of upper seat edge replaced the old mechanism

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm really not trying to verify if the car is a euro model, that part is done. See email below, which doesn't answer the questions above unfortunately. I'm just trying to understand the differences, other than dash controls and that mentioned in the FAQ. Particularly, engine/emissions differences on a '71. I am assuming that the controls weren't in place in '71, which is why no differences are listed in the FAQ.

I will post the VIN after I purchase the car. :)

Dear Markos,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2800 CS VIN XXXXXXX was manufactured on July 20th, 1970, planned for Italy, but finally delivered on October 06th, 1970 to the BMW dealer Wogatzke in Kaiserslautern. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

<....>
BMW Group Archiv

WAY Group
Alfred-Arndt-Str. 2
80807 München
URL: www.waygroup.de

-------------------------------------------------------

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you checked the 2 original Road&Track articles on the 2.8/3.0 articles in the forum's tech info section? http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/press/index.htm

No - but I'll read up!

Quasi - related, I read up on Kaiserslautern, Germany. I hadn't heard of it. Apparently 60% of the town was destroyed in WWII. To this day, they are still unearthing 2,000lb undetonated bombs! I know this isn't uncommon in Europe, but still interesting.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay this article raised more questions than it answered:

Article:
Putting the 2788-cc, 192 bhp six into this car has resulted in all the expected performance improvements

I was under the impression that the M30B28 had a lot less power. Wikipedia has this at 168 hp. The compression ratio is 9:1, so it looks like the US bump down only happened with the 3.0. What am I missing?

m73

Reaction score
Could be SAE vs DIN horsepower...remember back-in-the-day there were two types of measurements aptly noted...

MF

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Could be SAE vs DIN horsepower...remember back-in-the-day there were two types of measurements aptly noted...

MF

I was thinking that - but couldn't find the calculation changes based on my lazy search.

Regardless, the article doesn't really address any questions about Euro vs. US differences. It doesn't look like the engine and emissions were different.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regardless, the article doesn't really address any questions about Euro vs. US differences. It doesn't look like the engine and emissions were different.

I think you are correct, no real difference but 168HP at least for US sounds right.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
According to BMW the euro 2800 had more hp than the U.S. 3.0
Compression does Matter
That said the torque of the 3.0 was higher proving once again that size matters!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 142

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The IV/72 BMW brochure says 3.0CS 180 DIN, 200 SAE (which was known to be very optimistic), 3.0CSi 200 DIN, 222 SAE.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
According to BMW the euro 2800 had more hp than the U.S. 3.0
Compression does Matter
That said the torque of the 3.0 was higher proving once again that size matters!

Thanks. That image only has one column for the M30B28, which coincides with everything else I've seen online.

G-Man

Reaction score
I'll bring an old thread back to life. Wogatzke BMW (no longer around) in Kaiserslautern Germany is located a few kilometers away from Ramstein Air Base, and other US Army installations. It's very common for US service members to order a new US spec BMW from the local dealership in Germany, drive it around Europe for a while and ship it back to the states when their overseas tour ends. My former US spec 74 2002 was purchased in MD, shipped to Germany when the owner was stationed at nearby Sembach Air Base. While there, the owner had Wogatzke install a new Euro spec M10 short block when his 02 started going burning oil. That 02 was totaled by a red light runner in the 90's but that motor lives on in another 02.