More car archeology from Buenos Aires

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In Buenos Aires one can clearly see the transition away from European cars in the 70s to global models likely made in Brazil today.
Sharing a few specimens I saw, all parked, none moving.

- Two cars I like a lot, Peugeot 505 one side of the street and a Fiat 128 being worked on across the street.
- Guess what the black rusty car is. Not a Peugeot 404!
- Fiat 600, always good for restaurant promotions.
- The beautiful Peugeot 504 by Pininfarina, which was a famous designer, not a gluten free flour brand...

And what would Buenos Aire be without graffiti! This clever one uses my handle to rant against the church. No endorsement implied.

Attachments

• bsas6.jpg
    bsas6.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 95
  • bsas5.jpg
    bsas5.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 92
  • bsas3.jpg
    bsas3.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 85
  • bsas2.jpg
    bsas2.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 79
  • bsas1.jpg
    bsas1.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 82

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting collection. Based on the black car's hubcap I would say a Mitsubishi or a Simca. But 1950's fin suggests a Chrysler product.

Waiting for the big reveal.

nedrepsa

Reaction score
In Buenos Aires one can clearly see the transition away from European cars in the 70s to global models likely made in Brazil today.
Sharing a few specimens I saw, all parked, none moving.

- Two cars I like a lot, Peugeot 505 one side of the street and a Fiat 128 being worked on across the street.
- Guess what the black rusty car is. Not a Peugeot 404!
- Fiat 600, always good for restaurant promotions.
- The beautiful Peugeot 504 by Pininfarina, which was a famous designer, not a gluten free flour brand...

And what would Buenos Aire be without graffiti! This clever one uses my handle to rant against the church. No endorsement implied.
the black car is a Riley 4/68 of 1959/61 vintage and the same badge engineered car as a MG Magnette with twin carbs or Austin Cambridge/Morris Oxford /Wolseley 15/60 with single carb,
Now rare in U.K so must be a rare slight in South America

Bob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah not many good classics down in bs as! But when I'm there i usually forget about cars!

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been to Buenos Aires to head north to fish for Golden Dorado 5 times. I found the streets covered with 1960's style Ford Falcons. And the rule of the road at intersections was the first car there had the right of way.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is the answer to the black car riddle, Siam Di Tella. A Pininfarina design, which combines the front of the Riley with the rear of the Austin Cambridge. Built under British Motors license.

Attachments

• bsas7.jpg
    bsas7.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 47