Modern radio w/ BT but classic look

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has anyone found a modern radio with Bluetooth that has a classy look that would fit in a Coupe? Most current radios look like disco balls.

Thank you.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And by "classy look" I don't mean vintage or original, it just mean something that would not look out of place in an e9.

I installed a late 80's 635 radio in my previous coupe and it was discreet, elegant and sounded awesome. But I'd like to get one w/ BT if possible.

dj_efk

Reaction score
You can get retro looking ones but they just look tacky to me. I got one that looks as stealthy / inconspicuous as possible and went with that.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have my original Becker with an ipod jack through the tape input that I then attached a bluetooth adapter to. Phone syncs to it when ignition is on.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep, check out the Retrosound brand. Not cheap, but excellent for and finish. They accept and play mp3's, stream Bluetooth, etc.

I'm picking up the cheesy looking Newport model for my jeep Cherokee in the next month. I currently run a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica MP3 disc player in my '99, but I want Bluetooth and RCA outputs.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Btw, if you are interested in one, type the radio model into google shopping. I think that jegs has the best deal.

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
In retrospect, the $300 Retrosound units are a bargain.

I must admit that the Retrosound "Hermosa" (which sells for $299) doesn't look bad. Of course, once you turn it on and you see that blue digital display, you know it wasn't made in the 1970's.

1968-76-04B-Hermosa-Becker-2T.jpg

Last edited:

iconoclast6

Reaction score
I had the Retrosund. Looked retro, worked perfectly in all ways. But, once you turned it on......yup, the display is pretty modern.

I swapped it out for a vintage Becker Europa II with an iPod input. It looks great, but the AM/FM reception is so....70's that its virtually unusable unless you have a perfect radio signal. The iPod input provides the best audio response.

But, I miss the Bluetooth of Retrosound. I've resorted to a JamBox....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You guys are too much! Tell that to your significant other when you spend $1,000 on a head unit. Also, you can change the Retrosound units to Amber or red (I believe). That would look a little better.

I'm either going to run no stereo, or a vintage one. I don't care if it works. You can get a cheap Bluetooth receiver the plugs right into an amp. They also make amps that are Bluetooth ready.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Who told you we tell our wives anything? :)

On the radio topic, it looks cheesy to me. Better to have a non working unit and hide the real one elsewhere, use a more modern approach or refurb a Blau or Becker with iPod adapter and even a remote amp. My NK has an amp under rear seat, stereo Blaupunkt in console and RCA splitter cables at amp to use either radio or iPod. Great sound!

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a Blaupunkt Franfurt with a bluetooth adapter I can also move to my 2002Tii, Vern. Works great.

I have my original Becker with an ipod jack through the tape input that I then attached a bluetooth adapter to. Phone syncs to it when ignition is on.

Attachments

• Athena Radio.jpg
    Athena Radio.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Roger S

Reaction score
Bluetooth enabled amplifier

Chris, Chuck and I have discussed this in the past but I don't see anyone using it. I will use one in my 1963 Buick Riviera with a stock non working radio to bypass the need for a head unit. Similarly, the same can be done with older working units, wired in a traditional manner. If you have an amp installed elsewhere, swap it out. I will do this in one of my never ending projects.

Hope all stateside had a great holiday weekend. For the north east guys, September morn... very few dances left with the coupes this year.

Back on topic, Amazon, and OPGI (?) have a few options. There may be four or five in total that appear worthwhile.

waynesie

Reaction score
Here is the Retrosound Zuma radio in my tii.
I will be putting a model 2 in my CS. (Has Bluetooth)
This is the Euro faceplate with the Becker knobs.
They sell a Blaupunkt knob set also that I will get for the CS along with the AM/FM scale (700-SCP-05 from Jegs)
I rarely look at the screen when driving.
Sounds good, has some quirks, but overall I really like it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 201

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stereo is pretty far down the list, but I am planning a Retrosound model 2 not only for bluetooth, but also because you can install the faceplate separate from the body of the unit.

The manual does not indicate a method to turn off the display, so I am thinking that once I figure out how to use it I will put black vinyl tape over the display, with an AM/FM scale over that. I do not want a radio display dominating the look of my dash.

Here is the Retrosound Zuma radio in my tii.
I will be putting a model 2 in my CS. (Has Bluetooth)
This is the Euro faceplate with the Becker knobs.
They sell a Blaupunkt knob set also that I will get for the CS along with the AM/FM scale (700-SCP-05 from Jegs)
I rarely look at the screen when driving.
Sounds good, has some quirks, but overall I really like it.

rb1971

Reaction score
I recently sold a 49 Hudson which came with a non-op original (tube) radio when I bought it. There is a guy that runs a shop in SLO out here in CA who removed all the internals but retained all the original externals, but was able to change it over to modern radio operation (including bluetooth). At the end of the day I was left with modern operation but a complete original look. It was pretty amazing I thought, although not cheap.

His site mostly lists American cars but he does indicate he can rebuild 70s AM/FM so I would at least give him a call if I wanted to keep a pure original look but have modern functionality.

http://www.bobsradio.com

A word of warning: he is quite verbose. You will probably be on the phone for an hour. But the work was top-notch.