M635?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a nice unmolested M635 on BAT. Seeing BavBobs gorgeous M6 got me thinking of this car has a place in my over crowded barn.

My general rule has been to avoid cars that are too modern because then you should just get a modern car.

Currently, to me this cutoff around 1974: so newest would be E9, Europa/Elan, 105/115GTV, short nose 911, etc. minimal to no smog, minimal to no digitally electronics and used of IC’s. Absolutely no driving nannies like ABS, etc (even power steering on the E9 is a stretch for me).

Am I missing out on a special vintage experience with the M635?

John

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
M88/3 > S38B35

The main difference between the M6 and its European counterpart, is that the S38 engine is used instead of the M88. Compared with the M88, the S38 has a catalytic converter, the compression ratio reduced to 9.8:1, a double row timing chain, a shorter camshaft duration and a simplified exhaust manifold. The power output for the North American E24 M6 is 256 hp (191 kW), which is 22 kW (30 hp) less than the European M635CSi.[22]

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
E24s certainly are cheaper than E9s, but if you were to get one, M635CSi Euro is the only way to go (prefer smaller Euro bumpers too).

Not my cup of tea; too big and complicated. Never liked the body side moulding on them (although can be shaved off for some $).

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a 88 M6 too, beautiful, strong, and not big at all compared to others. The M635 can have the chain replaced to a double row chain and ditch the TRXs - no comparison to ride with 16 or 17 inch wheels and modern tires. They are sensitive to the suspension bushing wearing, so replace if you jump in. And, prices for M635 and M6 are down. Undercarriage pics would be recommen.

mbmw

Reaction score
Not a easy job to replace the chain to a double chain setup. The valve springs also need also be updated to the dual spring setup. The early euro cars feel lighter and nicer to drive then the US version M6.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know where there is a great M635 Euro in great shape and priced correctly if interested

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So would the M 635 be more or less maintenance than the M6?
This looks nice

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is my sons car, late 84 build, rear head rests, headlight washers, no wipers, 96000 original miles, alpina wheels with originals also, stainless exhaust, runs great, fast! Ready to sell, $35,000 OBO

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is my sons car, late 84 build, rear head rests, headlight washers, no wipers, 96000 original miles, alpina wheels with originals also, stainless exhaust, runs great, fast! Ready to sell, $35,000 OBO

$35k seems low.
Color scheme
Originality?
Ext/interior/power & drivetrain condition?
Leakdown /Compression results??

John

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1985 M635csi that was imported and federalized when new. It has a BAR sticker and according to Carfax it passed California emissions in 1992. The valve spring and timing chain concerns are legitimate, I guess. My car had the valve spring update done when the engine was rebuilt in the late nineties but at the time the timing chain was replaced with a single row chain. I asked the mechanic who did the PPI what he thought about the single row chain and his thought was that it is an overblown concern. He is, by the way, one of the most well-known vintage race car techs on the west coast and I trust his judgement.

As for my impressions of the car so far, I like it a lot. It reminds me a great deal of my 3.0CS which has a M30B35 and five speed and falls somewhere between the E9 and the E30M3s I have owned. Unlike the U.S. M6, the seats are manual Recaros which feel and function exactly like the M3. I have not owned any other E24 so I can't make any direct comparisons as regards driving feel but I know the Euro is quite a lot lighter and less complicated than its U.S. sibling. I have owned a couple of E28 535s and much of the technology in this car, for better or worse, is similar. So you have to deal with the hydraulic brake booster and brake bomb, the dodgy and expensive heater control valve, etc.

My M635 came with a couple of binders of receipts and appears to have excellent care over the years. Bottom line, at least from my experience, is that like any BMW and especially any M car, it's a must that maintenance be done faithfully, using quality products and by a skilled tech.

Feel free to ask any questions. Oh, by the way, there is a forum: BigCoupe.com and so far in my limited experience the members there are much like here. Friendly, knowledgeable and willing to help.

As for bfeng's initial thoughts, I'm with you in most respects but an E24 is a dinosaur compared to the recent, and in my opinion hideous products being produced by BMW.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
hideous products being produced by BMW

Most new BMW’s don’t do much for me either, but I am very fond of my diesel X5 (e70). It does yeoman’s duty hauling people/stuff and my 6000lbs race trailer, and it is only slightly worse than really horrible on reliability. My E60 was much less reliable. In suburban driving I average 26mpg!

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is that a good place to find m635’s FS?
I hope they discuss BAT cars like we do here.
So far I haven't seen many car-for-sale ads on that forum or much discussion of BAT cars either. If you want to find an M635 in the US, for better or worse it seems that BAT is the best option.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know where there is a Euro M6 but it's in rough shape. Needs a full restoration from the pics I've seen.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congrats for your son! $30k I think is good money for the car. I mean, it has a ton of original miles on that M88.

$$$ to rebuild, but may have another $50k in it if treated well.

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats for your son! $30k I think is good money for the car. I mean, it has a ton of original miles on that M88.

$$$ to rebuild, but may have another $50k in it if treated well.
Rob, I think you are confusing two similar cars. Sooner's son's car has 96,000 miles. The BAT car has 164,000 and has some needs. Makes Sooner's car sound like a very good deal.