Looking for Front upper shock aluminum spacers (2).

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello, In search of the two aluminum spacers that shim the front upper shock mount to the inner fender. part # 3131113721. Approximately 20 mm in thickness. I installed H&R sport springs front/ rear and the front is just a bit too low for my application. Suspect that the fender could rub during the wrong bump and or dip. The rear height did not change at all so I am going to have to find a way to shorten the rear spring a bit in order to make it more level. Anyone have a set?

Thank you.

Larry Louton

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you can't find one, you could always go to SendCutSend and have a couple cut out and sent to you in most thicknesses. I hear good things about them.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I recycled mine, so I don't have anything for the front.

For the rears, there are two different spring perches. When BMW increased the ride height to meet US DOT headlight height rules, they added the front spacer you are seeking and created a new, fatter rear spring perch so as to raise the car by equal amounts front to back. If you have the Euro spring perches, the US spring perches will raise your car about 3/4". Paul Cain has a thread here where members measured ride height - If someone has posted data for the H&R springs with the European spring perch, you may be able to use this thread to determine which spring perch you have installed in your car. https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/s...result-in-what-ride-heights.39747/post-343117 If you have the Euro spring perches, and want to make a change, I am pretty sure I have a set of US rear spring perches that were never installed. Message me if you may be interested and I'll double check that I haven't sold them already.

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you can't find one, you could always go to SendCutSend and have a couple cut out and sent to you in most thicknesses. I hear good things about them.
That is a fascinating website, I looked around at some of the other things they do, Their automotive section makes door seals?? Maybe I can send them my door seals for my E3!!!. On my list to do now.
Thank you.
Larry Louton

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recycled mine, so I don't have anything for the front.

For the rears, there are two different spring perches. When BMW increased the ride height to meet US DOT headlight height rules, they added the front spacer you are seeking and created a new, fatter rear spring perch so as to raise the car by equal amounts front to back. If you have the Euro spring perches, the US spring perches will raise your car about 3/4". Paul Cain has a thread here where members measured ride height - If someone has posted data for the H&R springs with the European spring perch, you may be able to use this thread to determine which spring perch you have installed in your car. https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/s...result-in-what-ride-heights.39747/post-343117 If you have the Euro spring perches, and want to make a change, I am pretty sure I have a set of US rear spring perches that were never installed. Message me if you may be interested and I'll double check that I haven't sold them already.
Hello Ohmess, I am going to have to take at least one side down again to see what I have. The front spacers were removed by the previous owners, indicated by the long studs so I probably have the US spring perch in the rear all ready. I will take to my local dealer and see if I can order a Euro perch? Perhaps Walloth? So if I go up in the front 20mm and go down in the rear 20mm, Hopefully it will balance out a bit. 1-1/2 inch higher in rear now.
Thank you for the info.

Larry Louton

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a set that have been media blasted and powder coated steel gray PM me if interested

Thanks, Rick
Hello Rick, I had to go to my BMW dealer to pick up some other stuff and I ordered a set for $31.00 and free pick-up. I think they were having a sale.

Thank you.
Larry Louton

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello Ohmess, I am going to have to take at least one side down again to see what I have. The front spacers were removed by the previous owners, indicated by the long studs so I probably have the US spring perch in the rear all ready. I will take to my local dealer and see if I can order a Euro perch? Perhaps Walloth? So if I go up in the front 20mm and go down in the rear 20mm, Hopefully it will balance out a bit. 1-1/2 inch higher in rear now.
Thank you for the info.

Larry Louton

Hi Larry - I am confused on what you are trying to do. From your original post, it sounded like you were trying to determine how to lower the rear of your car. Now you indicate that you have purchased a set of aluminum spacers to raise the front of your car.

As to the rear setup, I suggest the best way to determine what you may want to change is to measure what you have, using Paul's thread as a guide, and compare your results to the data Paul has accumulated. This way you can determine which spring perch you have in your car. From your initial description, however, it seems like you have US rear spring perches, in which case adding the front aluminum spacers will level your stance and no further changes will be necessary. Using Paul's data should enable you to confirm this.

If, after making this evaluation, you still want to consider lowering the rear of your car, which will give you a nose up look after you add the front aluminum spacer, I suggest you do not attempt to obtain Euro spring perches from a US dealer. If you go to a US dealer with your VIN, the dealer will order another set of US spring perches. BMW dealers are penalized by BMW NA for parts returns, so the clerk at the parts counter is trained to refuse to sell parts that do not match a customer's VIN. I can tell you from experience it is difficult to talk them out of this. If you want to buy a Euro spring perch, I suggest a phone call to Mesa performance so that you can actually get someone on the phone who understands what I am saying.

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Ohmess, The photo attached shows my problem after installing the sport springs from H&R. I use the rocker panel trim to measure the height front and rear. The difference now is
1”1/2 inches. If I turn the steering wheel to full lock, I have about two tight fingers between tire and fender. A bit too tight for me. So if I raise the front about 20 mm or 3/4 a inch, it will give me the clearance to clear the fender lip and half of height difference. Found earlier this evening at Wallothnesche a piece of information.
They show in the rear suspension parts two different rear spring perch’s One they call the long stud other the short stud. The short stud
Part #33 52 1 107 257 is decidedly way shorter than what I remember but out of stock but at least I have a number to work with. If the perch
Indeed is 20mm or 3/4 shorter than I will level
the vehicle by raising the front 3/4 and lowering the rear by 3/4. Will let you know how it goes
Larry Louton
71986414906__61359433-1A91-46A0-BF4F-695BFFDA3984.jpeg
IMG_1768.jpeg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why not just put the stock springs back on the front?

BTW: earlier E3's did not have a rear sway bar as stock so check to make sure you have one and if not, get one, dramatic improvement. Other thing is that the front strut housings are not all the same, ensure yours are identical, not an issue if never swapped but otherwise may be.

No mention here of what your spring perch is set on in the back and what shocks. Bilstein rear shocks for a Bavaria are the same, sport or standard since they were so close, Bilstein decided only one was needed. If you have these, there are multiple perches on the Bilstein, just move the clip. Perhaps you know all this but just in case.

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello, I took the rear shocks back out to find a way to lower the rear end about a inch. Just above the rear perch a spacer is located atop the rear spring perch. The thickness of the spacer is 18 MM. reinstalled the rear shocks without the spacer. On the front that sat to low with the new sport springs, I installed new spacers on top of the front springs. Roadtested vehicle and remeasured. Overall, the vehicle dropped about a inch with a 1/4 inch lower in front. Rides real nice with little or no roll. Still have to play with the rear sway bar adjustment to feel what it can do.
IMG_1779.jpeg
IMG_1775.jpeg

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had them in my e3 as well. I couldn’t reuse them when I swapped in the e28 rear subframe because the studs are shorter on the e28 struts.
I wonder if they also center the shock mount to the shock tower.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have them on mine, somehow I think they serve a purpose.

Is your perch on your actual shock set to it's lowest setting?

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The vehicle came with KYB gas a just shocks installed. No adjustment available. The vehicle ride was too soft yet the rebound is good.
I would have to chase down a full set of adjustable coil overs if I needed to go lower.

Larry Louton

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if you choose to do coilovers, i would talk to @Mario L. at VSR. the RAAB Classic KW units are great on the e9 ... i am sure they also have something for the e3. In a conversation with Mario after driving the RAAB e9, his comments were that it is the best ... as i remember, he has put them on his 2002tii and his e28 M5.