Looking for a E9 quality wooden steering wheel

Johnny D

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm looking for a nice wooden steering wheel for my E9.

Ive seen loads of cheap looking copies on Ebay etc, but i want something that looks good without costing no more than £500-£600 .
I have no idea on what make to go for, but i know it has to be in keeping with the basic style of the car.
I am open to suggestions as long as theyre not rude.:)
I am based in London but transport costs is not an issue

Thanking you guys in advance.

Johnny D

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Johnny, the cost depends partially on what brand of wheel you are interested in ... there are several. to me, you want to find a 380 mm wheel ... many of the Momo wheels are 350 mm.
1. the original BMW wood 'bus' wheel ... probably the least expensive approach
2. a nardi (new style hub)
3. a new style Moto Lita (the e9 hub can be hard to find)
4. a new style Momo
5 a nardi (original 'conical' style hub)
6. an old momo
7. alpina
1640212741929.png

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Or even go thru the ‘show your steering wheel’ thread to get some ideas

Johnny D

Site Donor
Reaction score
Johnny, the cost depends partially on what brand of wheel you are interested in ... there are several. to me, you want to find a 380 mm wheel ... many of the Momo wheels are 350 mm.
1. the original BMW wood 'bus' wheel ... probably the least expensive approach
2. a nardi (new style hub)
3. a new style Moto Lita (the e9 hub can be hard to find)
4. a new style Momo
5 a nardi (original 'conical' style hub)
6. an old momo
7. alpina
View attachment 132781
Or even go thru the ‘show your steering wheel’ thread to get some ideas

Very useful....Thank you much for this info.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Johnny, I may still have one of the wood wheels, supplied as original option. Let me check this evening; it's one like this one; they are a tad larger then the 380 mm Petri's.
I'm just across the small pond; in the Netherlands, so shipping should be very affordable.
1640262785384.png

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Johnny,

I also have a nice OE wooden wheel for the e9. It is missing a couple of the chrome pieces at the edges of the spokes, but I have new replacement ones. IF you have interest, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send pictures.

I had this type wheel on my two e9's back in the late 1970's, and loved the feel of it. Bought this one to install on my '74 in place of the Nardi that was on it, but sold the car before I got it installed.

Cheers,

Gary
USA

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The bus wheels both plastic and wood are 42cm, CSi Sport wheel 41cm, Petris 40 and 38 for comparison. I love the wood bus wheel in our 2800 and in my NK.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Johnny D -It depends on how you like to drive to a degree. If you like to drive a bit more sporty and appreciate quicker reactions from the car, then a smaller wheel will likely be more to your liking. If you want to cruise bigger roads than bigger may feel better. Personally I like smaller wheels and anything larger than a 38 feels bus like but that's just what I like...You'd probably be happier prioritizing the size/feel factor over looks for longer term enjoyment. You can find anything you want if you are prepared to look for it and pounce when available.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Drew Gregg has a really handsome one for sale. Not your typical Nardi.

Johnny D

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Johnny, I may still have one of the wood wheels, supplied as original option. Let me check this evening; it's one like this one; they are a tad larger then the 380 mm Petri's.
I'm just across the small pond; in the Netherlands, so shipping should be very affordable.
View attachment 132792
Hi Erik, I have seen examples here in London, most recently on a CS. I think its a little too big for me. IF you have anything smaller i would be more than interested. Thank you for the effort and I hope you have a Nice Xmas & New Year. Les hope 2022 is the beginning of the end. :)