Locking glovebox?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tonight I noticed that my CSI has a locking glovebox while my 2800CS did not. What year did this happen? I have to admit that the button looks nicer without a lock, but I'll probably chose function over form.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hello,

I was told it was an option on E9 .
Maybe orange books could tell you more ?

Marc.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tonight I noticed that my CSI has a locking glovebox while my 2800CS did not. What year did this happen? I have to admit that the button looks nicer without a lock, but I'll probably chose function over form.

It would be interesting to know if it was just an option or just not a feature at the time. My 1970 2800CS does not have a lockable glove compartment.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My 72 CS does not have a lock. I prefer the look and don't plan to change it.

alex

Reaction score
My 72 3.0 CS has the glovebox lock and operates with the same key as the ignition, doors and trunk. I suppose it was standard depending on markets maybe.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wouldn't put a lock on it.

If your car was unfortunately WAS broken into, best they take whatever is in your glovebox rather then have them destroy the glovebox to get whatever they think is valuable inside it.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And leave your glovebox empty. I never lock any of them. Just have a kill switch. But it's rarely out of my sight anyhow.

I learned this from my old convertible days as it is better to have them find nothing than slice the roof or break the glass and find nothing..

I wouldn't put a lock on it.

If your car was unfortunately WAS broken into, best they take whatever is in your glovebox rather then have them destroy the glovebox to get whatever they think is valuable inside it.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello,

I was told it was an option on E9 .
Maybe orange books could tell you more ?

Marc.

The Orange book shows all models but since it was printed in 1975 it just means it fits all models when it became available. It may have been introduced in the 3.0CS years or maybe Hoffman speced it as standard once available, who knows.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps sometime between '71 and '72. I wonder if
the 3.0 got it and the 2800 did not...

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
And leave your glovebox empty. I never lock any of them. Just have a kill switch. But it's rarely out of my sight anyhow.

I learned this from my old convertible days as it is better to have them find nothing than slice the roof or break the glass and find nothing..

Right. I always left my convertible Dodge Challenger unlocked. Had an alarm though.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Simple rule: never carry anything you can't afford to lose. Then there is little reason to lock your car, and the local dopers don't need to break anything.

bmwkai

Reaction score
I am sure it came with the "series 2 upgrade" for the 74-75 models. my 74 csi have it, and my 70 2800 and 73 3.0 don´t have it

Stefan

Reaction score
My 72 3.0 CS has the glovebox lock and operates with the same key as the ignition, doors and trunk. I suppose it was standard depending on markets maybe.

In that case you also have the "service key" which fit on all locks except the glovebox and trunk !
Meant to be used when leaving car on service and you don't want the service guy snooping into your glovebox or trunk :)
In that case the glovebox and trunk lock would be the same.

(same keycode number on the service key as your regular key, but no plastic lamination)

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
or the "valet" key which seems approriate for the car in it's day.

In that case you also have the "service key" which fit on all locks except the glovebox and trunk !
Meant to be used when leaving car on service and you don't want the service guy snooping into your glovebox or trunk :)
In that case the glovebox and trunk lock would be the same.

(same keycode number on the service key as your regular key, but no plastic lamination)