Leather Re-trim of Interior

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a re-trim done on my interior, currently the car is in non factory fit velour with standard door cards. My local upholsterer suggested a leather supplier who offers an entire skin for £150, this is a general purpose leather and not a UV treated leather. He says that this is ok as it is the same leather as was used when these cars were built. My car will get limited use and lives in a garage.
Any view on if this is suitable?

Does anyone know if there where ever E9 cars factory produced with perforated leather for the sitting and back part of the seats and perhaps door cards? One of my modern cars had this drilled effect and it looks great and is less sticky if you don't use the air con on that hot UK summer day.

To do the entire car, door cards etc, I have been recommended 5 entire skins, this seems a lot to me. Anyone know how many is typical?

Thanks
C

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
When you say "skin," what size do you mean? Over here a skin is one-half of a cow hide. When I re-did my front seats, I needed a skin for each seat (without the seat-backs) and I really had to pay close attention to laying out and cutting the patterns to make sure I had enough leather. To do the whole interior would easily use up 5 half-hides.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
50 square feet

Bill
Thanks, the leather supplier says that one skin is 48 - 52 square feet, and 1.1 mm thick. I don't know if that is half a cow or a whole one.
How much is a half skin in the US?
If any one is interested the supplier I was recommended is www.leather-hides.co.uk
C

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the average hide size is generally 50 to 55sf more most cowhides. calfskin is generally around 15 to 18sf / hide.

keep in mind that 50sf is not a square or rectangular piece ... and its not all usable as some of the pieces might be long and narrow - like the tops of the legs. my point is that it might take more than 1 hide to get big enough pieces ... check with your fabricator.