La Jolla Concours - Congrats!

flarimer

Reaction score
April 9 - I have added images from the event to my web page - http://fredlarimer.com/home/ - look over to the right for my photo galleries and click on the link to the La Jolla Concours.

To Chris and Murray - at today's La Jolla Concours, Murray received a third place award and Chris received a second place in their class.

Well done to both!

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary,

When I got home Shawn said "where are you going to put those two crystal glasses, there's no room in the house." Guess I'll stick 'em in the file cabinet in the garage. I had a good time just being outdoors looking at the ocean and some of the incredible cars they had. The only issue was the pelicans that would fly by with an uncanny ability to hit specific cars at will, including Murray's and mine. I got to meet Ron Wakefield who had his `73 on display next to ours, I think he has had it for 25 years and it's his fourth coupe. He wrote the long term test in Road & Track on the 2800CS back in the day. Keith Martin from Sports Car Market was the emcee.

They had many, many classes which means they hand out lots of awards to keep everyone around until the end. Our class was won by the Mercedes Classic Center's 1957 180D ponton sedan. It is for sale for $160K which is reportedly what it cost for them to restore it! But it's Murray who always draws a crowd of admiring spectators who have to know more about his adventures with the BLUMAX. And I have Murray to blame for getting me involved with the e9 in the first place!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fred Larimer shot a lot of pics, I will see if he can provide a link. The organizers haven't updated their website yet unfortunately.

Dirk

Reaction score
Our class was won by the Mercedes Classic Center's 1957 180D ponton sedan. It is for sale for $160K which is reportedly what it cost for them to restore it!

Was it the same Ponton as they showed in Amelia last month ?

Attachments

• MB Classic Center 180D Ponton.jpg
    MB Classic Center 180D Ponton.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 107

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dirk,

That's the one. It was at Pebble Beach 3 or 4 years ago where they were working on it in a tent, shown at Palos Verdes Concours last September too. They found it here in Corona Del Mar from the original owner's wife, it was shown in the Star. They had six cars in the show, the 300SL took another first place, all arrived via covered transport.

Chris

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats Chris and Murray! Sounds like a great time.

It's hard to complete against cars from the 50's & 60's. The first year I participated in the Palo Alto in the sports and GT cars $7500 and up I was competing with an Aston Martin DB6 among others.

I remember that Ron Wakefield article, It's part of the Brooklands BMW 6 cylinder coupes article reprint. I must have read that book cover to cover a hundred times before I found my car.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pics

Courtesy of Fred Larimer. Murray is in the background. The Baikal coupe is Ron Wakefield's, the Moss Green Ponton is in the foreground.

Attachments

• FKL_2526_04-03-11 small.jpg
    FKL_2526_04-03-11 small.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 130
  • FKL_2533_04-03-11 small.jpg
    FKL_2533_04-03-11 small.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I remember that Ron Wakefield article, It's part of the Brooklands BMW 6 cylinder coupes article reprint. I must have read that book cover to cover a hundred times before I found my car.

Ha! I thought that I was the only one.

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
CONGRATS TO ALL. Thanks for posting the pictures. Always love to see all of these beauties. Particularly our CS's