"impaired" eBay ordering behaviour

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
May I be the first to start. Curious to hear, has anyone had the occasion to check their cell phone next day and discover parts/accessories they may have ordered for their Coupe after ....say.. some dinner party, when conversation became rather stale, you may have had consumed some glasses of wine or similar, and then you retreated to the "den", went on-line, and saw what you then determined to be a "must have" and discovered next day you ordered something that really was not your list of items you were really searching for, but seemed like a great idea at the time. I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who may have ordered those E9 silhouette decals from Iceland. Or any other experiences would be interesting indeed!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Admittedly ive had stuff arrive that i must think hard to remember when I ordered it. Vintage keychains are a frequent wine induced purchase, most recent is a cool one with a bmw logo in a small pirelli tire i snagged at some point from some eastern euopean country. Or often i have a list of watched items that i want but dont really need. These are also susceptible to EUI. Most recently i best offered some marchal headlights from germany and i woke the next morning to the acceptance.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be me this winter. Started off good with the leather Raichle's .I paid a dollar for those and then 40 times to ship them. But they fit like they were made for me and the workmanship is superb. The Raichle fibre jet (aka Red Hots) cost...A lot.
The Scott super light (yellow and red) are just that. Super light. Total rethink of the ski Boot by the inventor of the aluminum ski pole and major mountain bike designer.
Finally the Lange Comps revolutionised ski racing boots back at the end of the 60s. That boot put leather out of business. Fortunately they all fit me pretty good.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do not have the slightest idea of what you speak of.

On another note I have this interesting wind chime that just showed up on my doorstep in a box.

I managed to acquire 4 license plate panels, the ones with the fog light cut out?5 sets of red screwdrivers. 3 gas tanks, 6 rubber gas door gaskets, 12 front door cards, 9 rears. 4 complete trunk floor boards, 3 sets of front seats. Two front and two rear windshields. 3 bell housings, 7 door handles, 4 heater boxes, 3 steering column covers, 6 steering columns, 3 shifter consoles and countless empty wine bottles.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've gotten a number of items from eBay by bidding late at night. Regret floods in with the morning light. Mostly parts I can use, some are second spares.
Then there was the 1988 535is. oops.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I managed to acquire 4 license plate panels, the ones with the fog light cut out?5 sets of red screwdrivers. 3 gas tanks, 6 rubber gas door gaskets, 12 front door cards, 9 rears. 4 complete trunk floor boards, 3 sets of front seats. Two front and two rear windshields. 3 bell housings, 7 door handles, 4 heater boxes, 3 steering column covers, 6 steering columns, 3 shifter consoles and countless empty wine bottles.
...and a partridge in a pear tree!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i've never done this, absolutely not (says the former parts hoarder). buying a coupe worth of parts cured me of that.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, but how many of you have gone so far as to prepare an excuse in case your wife inquires about the mystery package before you get a chance to open it? (Pretend you found a new old stock round headlight relay from Europe, and offer to show it to her...)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My wife has heard them all and now she just looks away and mutters "another package arrived for you today"

Yeah, but how many of you have gone so far as to prepare an excuse in case your wife inquires about the mystery package before you get a chance to open it? (Pretend you found a new old stock round headlight relay from Europe, and offer to show it to her...)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My wife has heard them all and now she just looks away and mutters "another package arrived for you today"
yep, i've heard that one - several times. and just think about all of the ones that i had sent to my office that she never new about. now i make sure that she sees parts going out ... and those aren't sold ... they are traded (no money involved ... so nothing for her to spend).

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought a Malaga roundy while the family was out of town. After a few years hidden in the garage, she says, you still own that one?? Thought it was my Malaga Bavaria I sold 22 years ago
In the system now.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought a Malaga roundy while the family was out of town. After a few years hidden in the garage, she says, you still own that one?? Thought it was my Malaga Bavaria I sold 22 years ago
In the system now.

Haha! Car laundering... A detached garage would solve so many BMW and marriage issues. :)

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos,

Had to laugh, as I built the hobby garage a few years after retiring, and been using it for 11 years now. LOTS of packages containing Porsche 928, MB SL55 and now BMW parts have come into that garage to be opened for the first time! But, I'm very blessed to have a wife that supports this hobby. She is fully aware that it has a lot less 'issues' than the hobbies some men gravitate (or are pulled) toward!! So when a large or small box arrives she just says "What will this be used on?".

Gary

coupelover

Reaction score
I bought my e9 off eBay after coming home impairs after a Christmas party. Kept bidding against another bidder until the last minute and ended up paying more than I would have sober. With the prices going up the last few years and the fact that it was a fairly clean California car, I have no regrets.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well my recent order wasn't impaired, and it wasn't on ebay. as many may know, SFDon is building a euro B34 for me. tonight i told my wife that the coupe was getting a new engine this summer ... and it was going to be installed in the Bay area ... so the questions started ... how are you going to get it there (easy - in a truck), why california. it all became perfect - when i told her that we would go pick it up and drive up to the wine country in it ... bring it back to Don's and have it shipped home ...

its all about hiding in plain sight and packaging

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well done Scott. Perfect solution for both members of the partnership family!!

I did something similar 2 1/2 years ago. I'd sold my 928 track car and 'retired' from the High Performance Driving in June, something I'd been doing for about a dozen years after I retired. Then, I bought the MB SL55 from a fellow 928 Forum member in Provo UT. After driving it home through both the Rockies and the Appalachians, I was so impressed with it's handling that I wanted to take in to 'the track'. Told my wife of the plans to spend 2 days at Watkins Glen with it and said "let's make it a great closure to the track driving experience. There's a nice new hotel overlooking the lake in the village, we'll stay there, have dinner at a great restaurant in Seneca - again overlooking the lake - and you can either hang out at the track with me, or just relax and enjoy the charming town of Watkins Glen". She responded with "If you really want to drive this car on the track, that will be a nice way for us both to enjoy the final retirement". We had a wonderful little trip, and I REALLY appreciated the engineering that MB guys put into the superchareged/hydraulic suspension car.

Gary-

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
will keep you posted when my car goes out to Don's. the engine will be ready this week ... but my car hasn't come home from the painter and i have to put a lot of trim on it and do a bunch of other things. originally we were talking august ... but the engine is getting done quick ... and it is looking great