Ignition switch issues?

2800cs

Reaction score
Im hoping someone can give me some insight before I just start ripping into it....

Yesterday I had my power cut off (everything... stalling the car... turning off the radio and lights) in my car for a split second and the alt light came on.

Today.... It did it again... few times in a row... and then something in the steering column started to smoke...

I pulled over on the side opened up the steering column and couldnt see anything grossly wrong. I found after feeling around that the soldered connection point for the ignition switch was very hot (burned my fingers)?

The one thing that was different that i did notice was that the key light in the column started to work?? With the odd way the electrical system is grounded could this be an issue shorting the column somehow?

The connection point as well as the physical ignition does not look trivial to disassemble....so if anyone has had experience with this... Id greatly appreciate the input!!

Thanks!!

*****update*****

Found it.... the plastic cap on the end of the ignition was a little bit loose. The gap was small enough to keep the car running for the most part but Im guessing had enough resistance to generate "some" heat.

I pushed it back in and hammered the tab back in. Put a little bit of 2 part epoxy over that. We will see if it leaves me stranded somewhere....

Last edited:

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Just replaced my ignition switch. Same issue you're describing. Driving along, and then *blink* everything turned off, and then it would come back.

I thought about trying to fix the switch, but I didn't want to leave myself stranded somewhere, so I replaced it. Found the part for $108 so I wasn't too bummed.

2800cs

Reaction score
Where did you find that for 108? Thats pretty reasonable!

Just replaced my ignition switch. Same issue you're describing. Driving along, and then *blink* everything turned off, and then it would come back.

I thought about trying to fix the switch, but I didn't want to leave myself stranded somewhere, so I replaced it. Found the part for $108 so I wasn't too bummed.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
My Bav did this - turned out to be a loose connection on the switch connector. I pushed it back together and it's worked just fine for seven years.

2800cs

Reaction score
My Bav did this - turned out to be a loose connection on the switch connector. I pushed it back together and it's worked just fine for seven years.

I did the same and it seems to be running alright now! Thanks!