http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/4536618136.html

tmason

Reaction score
I find it strange that one would go though the process to replace the floor and fender but yet leave the trunk looking like that?And also if you are respraying why not do the engine bay?

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Who wants to guess what horrors would be lurking if you took the front fenders of. If it´s needed the floors replacing and door skins but that was all that was done to it...
Pretty car, nice coulor, nice version and all. But 29k for something that might crumble into pieces when you take it apart?
Risky...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is the statement that would have me worried.

"Some rust is also showing in the area above the glove box and above the hood release door"

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank the seller

This is the statement that would have me worried.

"Some rust is also showing in the area above the glove box and above the hood release door"

Boy what a tough bunch. First of all, we ought to thank the seller for being honest and forthcoming. Second, the seller put up pics of the bad stuff, so again hats off to a straight shooter. What a nice change from the usual slick willy ads we normally see. The advert is better than 98% of the E9 ads Out there.. The car has needs, but at least prospective buyers aren't being misled about it.

John

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Overall a very good ad, but admitting some rust in glove box and not showing it, that scares me. I have seen two coupes recently with rust in that area and one was oozing rust through the POR15 there. It's currently on eBay.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not any easy area to photograph well

Overall a very good ad, but admitting some rust in glove box and not showing it, that scares me. I have seen two coupes recently with rust in that area and one was oozing rust through the POR15 there. It's currently on eBay.

Seller could have just not mentioned it, but he did That's the Important part. Any serious buyer now knows its a problem and can request more photos. Besides, advert photos rarely have the ability to show a bad area truthfully. Live or prof inspection mandatory for these cars.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Yes, kudos, but

Yes, it's a very well-written ad from an enthusiast seller, and kudos to him for disclosing the firewall rust, but... $29k?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unfortunately many eBay buyers don't follow prudent advice and get a PPI, they are buying on emotion. As I said, great ad. The glove box area though is very easy to photograph, I've done it.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know this car

This car belongs to a friend of mine. It is in very good condition but does need the work he described. The rust spots on the fire wall are just spots. With 3 other classic cars to maintain sometimes cash flow is an issue and if he were to keep the car, the spare tire well was next on the agenda. The paint looks great close up. The blue velour interior is brand new.

I am very curious about why the PO would have painted the engine compartment black. When I looked it over everything appeared solid. There was one spot where a sticker had been peeled off and the area beneath is the color of the car.

I will be up there next week if anyone wants specific photos of certain areas or wants any further questions answered. If Coupes at the Cottage happens, this car is 5 miles away. We could all look at it.....

duane_sword

Reaction score
I know the car, great driver's coupe

As I am a fellow north east US coupe enthusiast like Stan, I am also familiar with this coupe for sale.

For the past 5 years or so I have known the owner (an honest and good man, the kind of person you want to buy a car from) through the various German Car Day, BMW CCA, & E9 gatherings in the region.

The car runs and sounds strong - a group of us enjoyed a spirited drive through the NH hills recently and this particular coupe ran like a charm all day.

Any complete novice should stay clear of an E9 - but for an informed and appreciative buyer this coupe will give loads of driving fun, car envy, and tinkering joy.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
I know this car and owner, and....

Somehow this process has become a wash, rinse, repeat scenario.

Though e9's are increasing in value, it seems we're are our own worst enemies when it comes to the prices of cars that come up for sale.

Due diligence, however it can happen, is encouraged for sure. But it also seems that the process reflected on the e9 board has become awkardly slanted in the direction of simply knocking down most asking prices. Why is that?

I've seen this car at shows and events for 5 years running. Great looking and running car, even with some issues to address. I was stunned to find out this past week-end, that it was being sold. I was completely at ease with how the ad described the car, I guess mostly because I've seen the car and know the owner. We all talk openly about our ongoing issues. Put simply, you couldn't buy a car from a better guy, who is completely honest and forthright about his car.

Given what he has into the car and the current market values...I think it was a steal for the lucky, and obviously informed owner.

Certainly we have adequate resources online, and in-person local help available around the country, to evaluate our cars. Evaluations that separate the over-priced Ebay rust buckets from worthwhile and actively owned and cared for e9's, can only help the collective perception of our cars.

Just my humble opinion....

Last edited:

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Somehow this process has become a wash, rinse, repeat scenario.

Though e9's are increasing in value, it seems we're are our own worst enemies when it comes to the prices of cars that come up for sale.

Due diligence, however it can happen, is encouraged for sure. But it also seems that the process reflected on the e9 board has become awkardly slanted in the direction of simply knocking down most asking prices. Why is that?

I've seen this car at shows and events for 5 years running. Great looking and running car, even with some issues to address. I was stunned to find out this past week-end, that it was being sold. I was completely at ease with how the ad described the car, I guess mostly because I've seen the car and know the owner. We all talk openly about our ongoing issues. Put simply, you couldn't buy a car from a better guy, who is completely honest and forthright about his car.

Given what he has into the car and the current market values...I think it was a steal for the lucky, and obviously informed owner.

Certainly we have adequate resources online, and in-person around the country, to evaluate our cars. Evaluations that separate the over-priced Ebay rust buckets from worthwhile and actively owned and cared for e9's, can only help the collective perception of our cars.

Just my humble opinion....

Well said. Most of us would not sell our cars for what some would say "it's worth". I'm not just saying this because I have and love these cars. I drove a ferrari dino and I have a 68 soft window 911 targa S...dino now worth over 250-325k and the 911 has seen lesser cars sell for over $200k regularly....and jabberjaw is better to drive. The CSLs and original CS are awesome too. I know the market speaks but we should support good cars and not nitpick them...even jabberjaw needed "work" but so do all classic cars. Good drivers are worth more than most opine...if simply because you can't bring an average car to a "good" level for what it costs just to go buy the good one first.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi gang -- As a rookie who just bought an e9, I want to throw in my $.02 on this thread.

I do so because I think we will have a happier, healthier community here if we help rookies make good buying decisions. As you can see here -- http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16520&page=6 -- I posted the specific list of things I plan to do to my car for the same reason.

Stan put me in touch with John, the seller of this car, knowing the car was about to come on the market. As Stan and DuaneSword have said, John is a stand up guy and the kind of person from which you would want to buy an old car. I had a handful of conversations with him about the car, and would have felt comfortable doing business with him. Before heading up to NH, I paid Mario to conduct a pre-purchase inspection on the car for me.

Mario was familiar with the car. John did not, however, use Mario to care for his car. I mention this because in evaluating Mario's report on the car, I took into consideration the fact that Mario may have been just a little more critical of the body work John had done on the car because of this.

My decision to move on from this car turned on my determination that this car had just a little more rust than I was willing to accommodate. I grew up in the rust belt, and have a low tolerance for rust on cars.

That said, I felt John's ad fairly depicted the condition of his car. Moreover, the comments here were sufficient to alert potential buyers to possible issues.

So, in the end, I am jumping into this thread to encourage members here to continue to comment on the condition of the e9s that are offered for sale. Most e9s that come on the market are going to be a long way from perfect, but a clear headed view of a car's condition allows potential buyers to make an informed decision.