hood insulation

inmantua1

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get replacement foam for the underside of the hood of a 1973 cs?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I haven't gotten around to installing my hood insulation - it appears simple. However, if anyone knows of a clever and effective way to remove the old, rotten, fetid original insulation I would be very interested; mine looks like tar which has been sprayed with small rocks and dirt and then aged for 15 years. I'm considering pulling the hood and placing it top down on a blanket in the yard and going at it with a 5hp power washer. I suppose I could scrape and pick but it seems like a daunting task.

G

Reaction score
jhjacobs said:
I haven't gotten around to installing my hood insulation - it appears simple. However, if anyone knows of a clever and effective way to remove the old, rotten, fetid original insulation I would be very interested; mine looks like tar which has been sprayed with small rocks and dirt and then aged for 15 years. I'm considering pulling the hood and placing it top down on a blanket in the yard and going at it with a 5hp power washer. I suppose I could scrape and pick but it seems like a daunting task.

There was a thread on this,,,http://e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1237&highlight=hood+insulation+removal
I got my insulation from Carl I think I paid $80.00 2 years ago.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
For removal, I used a plastic scraper to remove as much of the remaining foam as I could, then 3M adhesive remover on the glue.

tmason

Reaction score
I install $3.00 foam and $3.00 glue tonight. I let you know how it holds.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 143

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I had my Polaris coupe painted I left the insulation off. I like the look of the silver paint but wonder if all hoods came with insulation? If so, I may install it.
Awaiting a response from the guys who know all.

I like an original appearing coupe. Even went so far as to take some of the Ca$h from our CSi Barn Find and purchased the $132.00 "cardboard" splash pan that goes under the nose and is invisible. The things we do.

Steve

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Coupe has no insulation and the paint looks fantastic under the hood. I just ordered the factory stuff from Tisher. I have mixed feelings about installing it.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Underhood insulation question---

Yes--all US models imported through Hoffman Motors were fitted with the three piece foam insulation--todays insulation material seems more durable than the original stuff.