High at the front and low at the rear

pmansson

Reaction score
General car ride height question:
if a car has too long or stiff front springs, will this push down the rear end?
would spacers on the rear springs raise the height at the rear AND lower the front part of the car?
Peder

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Consider your rear springs are worn and becoming shorter

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
would spacers on the rear springs raise the height at the rear AND lower the front part of the car?
Peder
In principle yes, but for the really small angles involved here I do not think it would be noticeable. Probably, like Don suggests, the weight load on the rear is fixed and the rear springs are worn. Whether springs get metal fatigue and wear down with use or time was a endless discussion here until people got fatigued...

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently bought some rear spring spacers for another classic car brand and they were perfect to create the ideal stance. Unfortunately I have been searching for spacers for E9 rear spring buckets for ages, but havent located anyone selling them. I guess you need to make your own.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My CSL rides a little high post resto. The diet didn't help things either.
Wasn't there somebody on here from the UK selling a lowering kit that was pretty close to the correct stance.

Rob///M

Reaction score
My CSL rides a little high post resto. The diet didn't help things either.
Wasn't there somebody on here from the UK selling a lowering kit that was pretty close to the correct stance.
Hey mate, did you find the details of where this kit was available? I need a set or two.

bengal taiga

Reaction score
Peder
In addition to the other good suggestions, and as an indirect response to your post, fresh gas-charged bilstein shocks fitted to the rear suspension have a tendency of lifting the vehicle's rear end. This becomes especially pronounced when replacing non-gas-charged original equipment, or the like. Boge? How much lift is difficult to predict. Another common means of slightly altering the vehicle's ride height often involves removal of metal spacers often found under the front fenders in North American market vehicles. It is my understanding that those same spacers can conveniently be fitted to the "rear" upper spring perches. Although these spacers were predominantly found on North American market vehicles to comply with various US Dept of Transportation bumper and/or headlight regulations they did occasionally appear on vehicles delivered to European markets, like yours. I can think of two csi's that were originally so equipped, although both examples were relatively thin.

The image depicted below is from Jaymic's website. https://www.jaymic.com/front-strut-alloy-spacer-20mm.html
Realoem describes this part as a "washer." Pt No. 31331107059 It also seems to support the notion that these spacers were used for various markets, perhaps to address spring variations?

02st.1542_1.jpg

Part 31331106059 was found on the following E9 vehicles:

2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CS, Coupe, M30, MANUAL, EUR, (3431) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CS, Coupe, M30, AUTO, EUR, (3432) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CS, Coupe, M30, MANUAL, EUR, (7011) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CS, Coupe, M30, AUTO, EUR, (7021) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CS, Coupe, M30, AUTO, EUR, (7022) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CSi, Coupe, M30, MANUAL, EUR, (3441) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CSi, Coupe, M30, AUTO, EUR, (3442) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CSi, Coupe, M30, MANUAL, EUR, (7031) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CSi, Coupe, M30, MANUAL, EUR, (7032) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CSL, Coupe, M30, MANUAL, EUR, (3451) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts
2.5CS-3.0CSL, 3.0CSL, Coupe, M30, MANUAL, EUR, (3452) : Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts

6a8ceca738597b9538444000555c0b24.jpg

BMW_Retro_Mountains_489773.jpg

thumb2-bmw-e9-retro-cars-1974-cars-bmw-new-six-sunset.jpg

4a6d6b98fa58151061c80ff236c83ed8.jpg

Last edited: