Help with Banshee-Like Noise

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m hoping you can help me diagnose an issue from a noise I hear while driving. The car is a 69 2800, 4 speed, which sat for many years and I’ve done quite a bit of work on it over the past year and a half, although this noise was always present since I purchased the car. You can hear the noise in the video link which is a spooky banshee-like moan that *seems* to be coming from engine side of the firewall, perhaps more toward the passenger side, but I can’t completely convince myself of that. It can happen at various rpms, speeds, and gears. It will even be there in neutral if I take it out of gear while I’m hearing it. It is always when driving (never during an idle). The car drives very smoothly, no shimmies, or pulling to one side. The brakes have all been redone, including hard lines, I just changed the transmission fluid, if I jack up the front of the car, there is no play in the wheels in any direction.

Maybe the power steering pump (but turning doesn’t affect the noise), maybe the center support bearing, but I don’t think it’s coming from that location?

I’m puzzled, let me know if you’ve experienced this before.

Ric

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does clutch engagement affect it? If so then pilot or throwout bearing. Can easily remove ps belt to check that. Noises like that can manifest themselves in different areas when trying to pin down their source. Water pump too.

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, no, clutch engagement doesn't seem to have an effect. Good point on the ps belt. I agree the water pump could be a source... I haven't changed that since the car's long period of storage (I likely should!)

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
That really sounds haunted...lol. Does it seem to have a bearing wail to it? or a metallic, lightly rubbing on something else metallic sound? Something about the sound has a hollow feeling to it...

3moons

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the exhaust making contact with the driveshaft? Look for polish rings.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
My hunch is a wheel bearing. Did you perform the brake service? If not you may not know the status of the wheel bearings. Not expensive, a good part to renew, at any rate. Good luck and keep us posted. Mike

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like the motor is dry on your slot car! A spinning vibration. Distributor shaft? Can you get it to make the noise sitting still while revving the motor?

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I haven't dug into the topic much more, but as I ponder this more deeply with limited data, I am leaning toward the pilot bearing. When I first got the car out of storage from the previous owner, the clutch pedal was stuck in the up (disengaged) position. Wanting a quick fix I went under the car and banged on the clutch fork until she freed, and normal function began (I installed new master and slave clutch cylinders as well).

Now I will appear to contradict what I said above after a more careful review... If the car is idling, in neutral, there is a very slight noise that disappears when I depress the clutch. So I am thinking A-HA! There we go... the throw out bearing is giving up the ghost and causing some intermittent whining that sounds like tormented cries from the souls of the damned.

So, I'm thinking of changing out the throw out bearing, and likely the clutch since I'm in there. Even if that doesn't fix it, it is likely needed anyway.

Also, @bluecoupe30! , changing the wheel bearings now is good idea as well.

Cheers,

Ric

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I listened to the video again in a better setting (able to play it louder) and can't tell if the noise follows engine rpm or car speed. Can you make another video and go through all the gears, especially fourth gear? I've had a similar sound in a 2002 and it was the bearing on the lay shaft in the transmission (all gears except fourth). It would be nice to rule that out.

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an update on what sounded like the tortured cries from the souls of the damned. I replaced the front wheel bearings (thinking that possibly might be the issue) and while I was in there I replaced the inner/outer tie rods, control arms with ball joints, and some of the bushings. Also, thinking the noise could be the clutch pilot bearing, I found an opening in the bell housing and unloaded a good amount of spray grease in the direction of that component. After putting everything together, I backed it out of the driveway and headed down the road where a half block away the noise once again revealed itself. However, this was only temporary, as I drove around another half-mile or so, the noise ceased. I drove around on back roads for about another half-hour and didn't hear anything unusual.

So... I'm telling myself that due to the car's long term storage with the previous owner, the pilot bearing and all of the mechanics around it was corroded/dry, etc, and the lubrication remedied this (at least for the time being). Snow is coming today here in the East, so this diagnostic drive was the last until spring, but I'm hoping the banshee stays silent. Thanks to all of your for your help and replies, if you're ever in North Jersey, stop by for a beer, soda, tap water, or whatever you're drinking these days.

R