HELP! What colour is the CS Coupe in the BMW Museum, Munich?

dj_efk

Reaction score
Guys, really need your help on this:

I am restoring a BMW 2800 CS coupe (E9) from 1969. About 6 months ago when I visited the BMW museum in Munich I had a good look at their car which under bright lights and it seems not far off an electric blue, maybe slightly lighter. I have a pic but can't see how to upload for all to see on here? Anyway this car is what got me into E9 coupes in the first place!

I want to paint my car exactly the same colour, so I called the museum and one of the Technicians told me the colour is 065 Turkis Blau (Turkish Blue) from around 1971/1972. However having now bought the paint and got the bodyshop that is restoring my car to paint it in this colour it looks (very) green, not blue.

They have checked they have the right shade of paint by getting samples from other suppliers and looking at the posting on this forum someone put up of the E9 colour codes plus other pics of this colour from the web it appears the museum has given me duff information!

Can anyone tell me what colour the car in the museum actually is?

dj_efk

Reaction score
Guys, really need your help on this:

I am restoring a BMW 2800 CS coupe (E9) from 1969. About 6 months ago when I visited the BMW museum in Munich I had a good look at their car which under bright lights and it seems not far off an electric blue, maybe slightly lighter. I have a pic but can't see how to upload for all to see on here? Anyway this car is what got me into E9 coupes in the first place!

I want to paint my car exactly the same colour, so I called the museum and one of the Technicians told me the colour is 065 Turkis Blau (Turkish Blue) from around 1971/1972. However having now bought the paint and got the bodyshop that is restoring my car to paint it in this colour it looks (very) green, not blue.

They have checked they have the right shade of paint by getting samples from other suppliers and looking at the posting on this forum someone put up of the E9 colour codes plus other pics of this colour from the web it appears the museum has given me duff information!

Can anyone tell me what colour the car in the museum actually is?

Malc

Reaction score
There used to be a colour chart in the Tech Info part
However I cannot get into it to check as it will not accept my login and password :cry:

One other thing often the name of the paint colour stayed the same but the formula and hence the shade changed over the years as I have found out :roll:
The colour in question at the time was British Racing Green, I never realised how many variations on the theme existed!

Malc

Reaction score
There used to be a colour chart in the Tech Info part
However I cannot get into it to check as it will not accept my login and password :cry:

One other thing often the name of the paint colour stayed the same but the formula and hence the shade changed over the years as I have found out :roll:
The colour in question at the time was British Racing Green, I never realised how many variations on the theme existed!

MichaelP

Reaction score
You have the right color code (065) for Turkis, and from the coupes I've seen, Turkis can be a lurid green or blue depending on the light - turquoise, really. The picture you're looking at on Motorbase definitely looks like Turkis, although Turkis is one of those colors that looks very different in bright sun vs shade vs museum lighting vs florescent shop lighting. Museum lighting tends to push colors to their cool side, so the Turkis you saw will look different in daylight. Also, fresh paint in the can almost always looks brighter than when it dries. Mintgrun and Colorado (orange) look bright enough when dry. In the can they look radioactive.

Keep in mind that the paints used nowadays are a different formula than when these cars were made, due to toxicity. Color codes are approximations of the old colors, so some imagination and flexibility on your/our part is required.

If you email your museum photo, I can upload it for you.

MichaelP

Reaction score
You have the right color code (065) for Turkis, and from the coupes I've seen, Turkis can be a lurid green or blue depending on the light - turquoise, really. The picture you're looking at on Motorbase definitely looks like Turkis, although Turkis is one of those colors that looks very different in bright sun vs shade vs museum lighting vs florescent shop lighting. Museum lighting tends to push colors to their cool side, so the Turkis you saw will look different in daylight. Also, fresh paint in the can almost always looks brighter than when it dries. Mintgrun and Colorado (orange) look bright enough when dry. In the can they look radioactive.

Keep in mind that the paints used nowadays are a different formula than when these cars were made, due to toxicity. Color codes are approximations of the old colors, so some imagination and flexibility on your/our part is required.

If you email your museum photo, I can upload it for you.

dj_efk

Reaction score
Thanks Michael - It's the picture that the above link leads to - It looks a completely different colour from Turkis?

dj_efk

Reaction score
Thanks Michael - It's the picture that the above link leads to - It looks a completely different colour from Turkis?

MichaelP

Reaction score
dj_efk said:
It looks a completely different colour from Turkis?

I wouldn't say that, although various computer monitors are a bad place to judge colors. I'd say it looks more or less like Turkis. If you're unsure about whether you'll like what's in the paint can, ask your painter to do a test panel that you can move around to see it dry in different lights and make an informed decision.

MichaelP

Reaction score
dj_efk said:
It looks a completely different colour from Turkis?

I wouldn't say that, although various computer monitors are a bad place to judge colors. I'd say it looks more or less like Turkis. If you're unsure about whether you'll like what's in the paint can, ask your painter to do a test panel that you can move around to see it dry in different lights and make an informed decision.

dj_efk

Reaction score
Thanks for that, however has anyone here actually been to the BMW Museum and can give me their opinion on the colour of the car they have there?

dj_efk

Reaction score
Thanks for that, however has anyone here actually been to the BMW Museum and can give me their opinion on the colour of the car they have there?

coupeking

Reaction score
Turkis blue is a later color to my recollection and not used when the 2800 was new. Turkis Green was one of the 'Campaign Colors' begun in late 1972, along with Golf, Inka, Taiga and Ceylon. I would imagine the color to be either Atlantik--non metallic dark blue, or Baikal blue which is a more medium dark blue with a trace of 'grapeiness', or Nachtblau which is more of a 'midnight blue'.
Just seems the factory would use a correct vintage color for a museum car, and I believe the qbove would be the options.
FWIW...
Peter
[email protected]

coupeking

Reaction score
Turkis blue is a later color to my recollection and not used when the 2800 was new. Turkis Green was one of the 'Campaign Colors' begun in late 1972, along with Golf, Inka, Taiga and Ceylon. I would imagine the color to be either Atlantik--non metallic dark blue, or Baikal blue which is a more medium dark blue with a trace of 'grapeiness', or Nachtblau which is more of a 'midnight blue'.
Just seems the factory would use a correct vintage color for a museum car, and I believe the qbove would be the options.
FWIW...
Peter
[email protected]

dj_efk

Reaction score
Think you might have got the wrong end of the stick here - My couper is an early 2800 CS, the museum car is an early 70's 3.0 CS or CSi.

Has anyone actually seen the car I'm referring to?

dj_efk

Reaction score
Think you might have got the wrong end of the stick here - My couper is an early 2800 CS, the museum car is an early 70's 3.0 CS or CSi.

Has anyone actually seen the car I'm referring to?

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi everyone !!

Been to th new museum in Munich early april . I confirm color is turkis.
The car is in a very dark room and the paint is magnificent.
Surprisingly the upholstery is not as good.
This very car appears in an issue of MOTOR KLASSIK ( could give you the date of the issue later (2004?)) and is compared with 911s, 350 SLC and Alfa Montreal. This article compares the car in the years 2000 with the original test made with the same cars in 1973 in the magazine Auto Motor und Sport.
In 1973, the CSi came first.
Concerning the color turkis, it is on the paint charts in septembre 73, but disappears six month later on early 74 paint charts.
Could give you further details when back from vacation friday.
I took pictures with my mobile .If some one wants photo sent to his own.
rgds.
chris.

2210910 '71 CS
2264207 473CSi

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi everyone !!

Been to th new museum in Munich early april . I confirm color is turkis.
The car is in a very dark room and the paint is magnificent.
Surprisingly the upholstery is not as good.
This very car appears in an issue of MOTOR KLASSIK ( could give you the date of the issue later (2004?)) and is compared with 911s, 350 SLC and Alfa Montreal. This article compares the car in the years 2000 with the original test made with the same cars in 1973 in the magazine Auto Motor und Sport.
In 1973, the CSi came first.
Concerning the color turkis, it is on the paint charts in septembre 73, but disappears six month later on early 74 paint charts.
Could give you further details when back from vacation friday.
I took pictures with my mobile .If some one wants photo sent to his own.
rgds.
chris.

2210910 '71 CS
2264207 473CSi