Hella 160 driving lights for sale

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve:

Any chance you'd sell to a former Stateside living in Melbourne, Australia. Those lights and clamps would make a useful edition to my coupe...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes for a forum member I will. How do you want it shipped? I will get a quote. Thanks.

Steve:

Any chance you'd sell to a former Stateside living in Melbourne, Australia. Those lights and clamps would make a useful edition to my coupe...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I found some period correct ones and put them on. They have a slightly different chrome housing shape and a nice patina. The new ones are nice though-the metal is bright and the lenses clear - that's the picture on ebay.

Here are the old ones which are on now (I have a spare bumper for if I ever want to take them off which is why I don't need the clamps anymore):

Driving-Light.jpg

Steve,

I thought they looked great on your coupe. Are you replacing them with something else?

Chris

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,

I'm not able to find the Hella model number, but these markings are on the glass lens: Center of glass-TNG SAE F 71 **** Perimeter of glass-301 113 232

Bought the Hella lights from a MB Pagoda SL guy. Probably came off a late model 280 SL. Believe the Hellas were fitted to the majority of the 230/250/280 SLs, in addition to a similar but smaller Bosch units.

Glass lens diameter is 5 3/16". Chrome body is about 6 1/4". Just make sure the lights come with the mounting brackets as they are very hard to find. A guy in Germany is asking about $80 for a new set. Have not been able to find them anywhere else.

5405141633_544ec787dd.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks I like them also - they ooze that raw 70's German autobahn look. I didn't buy a stock wiring harness because I rewired the relays as part of this retro-project:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7959

These period full chrome and glass Hellas are just beautiful! Just bought a great set off ebay myself a few days ago. Now I have to buy a new fog light wiring harness and switch from Walloth/Nesch.

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Steve. Sorry the hour difference is making it hard to respond in a timely fashion. I will definitely take these off you if they're still on offer. As mentioned I'm in Melbourne but can pay pal or pay in us$. How do I directly pm you? Tripp

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe mine have the same markings, could not find a model number anywhere, even after researching these numbers. I'd like to know the model also. The chrome is nice and thick and appear very well made. I polished the glass a little but that's all they needed. Still had the original 55w bulbs in which I replaced with 100 watters.

Chris,

I'm not able to find the Hella model number, but these markings are on the glass lens: Center of glass-TNG SAE F 71 **** Perimeter of glass-301 113 232

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Steve. Definitely would take these if still available. The hour difference makes it hard to be the first off the block, but yes...will take them if you're cool to ship to Melbourne. I can pay with pay pal, credit card etc.. Let me know if you're willing. Thanks! Tripp

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I should have offered them here first but I didn't think the interest would be there because many aren't interested in the driving light look. They're on eBay and the auction ends Sunday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180619455492#ht_500wt_1182

Hi Steve. Sorry the hour difference is making it hard to respond in a timely fashion. I will definitely take these off you if they're still on offer. As mentioned I'm in Melbourne but can pay pal or pay in us$. How do I directly pm you? Tripp

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I should have offered them here first but I didn't think the interest would be there because many aren't interested in the driving light look.

Agreed! Think the spit is about 50/50. Personally, I just like the super agressive look on the front end that these medium size period chromed Hella fog lights evoke. Rectangler lights and under bumper mounts do nothing for me.

shanon

Reaction score
Yum yum!

Put me on the pro-driving light side of the fence!
I think I need more lights for those late night rural backroad blasts....

".....let there be light!"

;-)

-shanon