Heater Panel

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris,

I had to change out the thermo switch and probe earlier this year.
I was on my trip to Ofest and took out the passenger side console side and the middle section below the controls. The section that has the thermo switch and fan speed control.

I pulled the probe out but could not see the hole that it goes back into.
I found if you get down very low where you can see under grill and in between the grill and top of squirrel cage you can see the small hole where the probe goes in. I had to lift up on the section with the grills in it.
It will move enough for you to see the small hole on the right above the round squirrel cage.
I could not find it and got Steve in NO to send me a picture.

Hole for probe.jpg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A/C unit install, again it takes some effort to get everything situated. Having a well deserved bourbon and seven before dinner.
Hey Chris, I am reinstalling the heater box and I was searching on the forum for some tips. I found this old thread of yours. In the first pic in post #3, we can see the two AC hose ports on the evaporator. But I do not see the matching rigid tubing coming from the engine compartment. Those rigid ones covered with the weird beige foam like coating. Did you remove and replace those with more modern hoses?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo, I bought new fixed pipes from CoupeKing but didn’t put anything over them, big mistake. They ice up quickly and will drip on the carpet. After they were installed I bought soft fiberglass tubing but had to cut them and attach with zip ties, not an elegant solution. Next time I would slip the tubing over the pipes, maybe even a small diameter foam instead. That old insulation is elephant snot!

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Our 70 2800CS has the removable insert for the heater control with the lettering in German as the car was a German delivery. The said insert has the two holes for the illumination lights. The car is just now starting to be reassembled and we do not remember any sockets/bulbs and associated wiring going into those holes upon dissembling. In fact did not even realize they were there.

Past threads say the bulbs are #2721. 12V, 1.2W. We have those miniature bulbs but no holder/socket. The hole inner diameter is around 7.5mm.

Also these is no evidence the car was ever wired for them. So can anyone know of a source of the correct sized sockets so we can wire these up and let them working?

Here is pic of the hole and a bulb laying next to it.

1018221435.jpg

Thanks

jjs 2800cs

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The illumination feature was added during 3.0CS production and the lack of wires for those tiny bulbs tells me your panel was replaced at some time.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
The illumination feature was added during 3.0CS production and the lack of wires for those tiny bulbs tells me your panel was replaced at some time.
Thanks HB Chris for the reply. A replacement panels makes sense.

But curiously my 70 CS VIN 2205990 was a German delivered car with the control labels in Germain and a KPH speedo.

Unless someone has a later trashed harness with the two special bulb sockets and willing to part with them, I have ordered these.

Apparently the incandescent bulbs use a T5 socket which is common on many German cars, but the T5 socket is a bayonet style and made to snap into a instrument or whatever. The sockets I have ordered will hopefully be able to be modified to slide into the ~7.5 mm hole in the panel. I will see if the LED light works or otherwise stick with the incandescent ones.

If cannot get these to work, I might just try to 3D print some kind of holder.

Either way we want to use this feature even though past threads say they don't really light it up much.

Thanks,

jjs2800cs