Headliner Installation

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm about to install a new headliner which I purchased from Lakewell and have a couple of questions. I do not have any support rods for the non sunroof headlining and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of the thickness of these rods? I'm looking at buying some stainless steels bars to do the job as I doubt the original rods and be easily sourced. Secondly, does the headlining need to be glued at the edges or does the trim hold it in place? Many thanks.

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm about to install a new headliner which I purchased from Lakewell and have a couple of questions. I do not have any support rods for the non sunroof headlining and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of the thickness of these rods? I'm looking at buying some stainless steels bars to do the job as I doubt the original rods and be easily sourced. Secondly, does the headlining need to be glued at the edges or does the trim hold it in place? Many thanks.
Rods are 6mm thick, about 6,5mm with paint.
Headlining need to be glued on all edges.

Stefan

Reaction score
Hi thelatestcraze,
Found this ForSale in Sweden. Among other (sold) stuff the support rods for the E9 headlining seems to be still for sale.
https://www.blocket.se/gavleborg/Bmw_e9_e3_e12_m30_75096505.htm?ca=9&w=3
"Stänger för innertak E9, 300 kr" = "Rods for inner roof E9, 28 GBP"

If your current Swedish isn't enough to manage navigate on this Swedish advertising site, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward it to the seller :)

Cheers!
Stefan

Reaction score
Hi Stefan. Thanks so much for that. Frustratingly I've just bought some stainless steel rods earlier today! If I don't have any luck with them I might see if these are still for sale! Everyone on this site is so helpful :)

Stefan

Reaction score
I'm just happy to help. This site made it possible for me to renovate my car to the level I had thought. You just want to give back the same to others :)

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I may have a photo of the rods that would help with bending them. There are 3 different lengths, the two rear ones are the same.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
This has been the best way for me to install headliners...this was my 69 1600... I'm so stupid for selling that...:-( I also did it on the Triumph Herald Estate that was on the Beatles Abbey Rd cover...:) that was fun..
I clipped it up dry with a million binder clips, adjusted, tightened, fit it perfectly, then removed a handful at a time and put in contact cement and replaced the clips as I went, not letting it dry, and let it sit for a couple days...super solid.
IMG_6012 2.jpg
IMG_6010 2.jpg