Handbrake mount - counsel requested

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm getting ready for the off season projects now that colder weather is around the corner in VA (I hope) and Monterey is now a very nice memory.

Anyway, I showed this to Peter Coomaraswamy in Monterey and he's seen it before...a cracked handbrake mount that probably needs swapping out. He suggested a 6 series part to replace it.

Anyone else do this repair? My handbrake is crooked as you can see and angles to the left, plus the handbrake itself is not holding the brake well which is a separate problem likely but perhaps due to how little leverage I can get pulling up.

Guidance appreciated....

Attachments

• IMG_5024.JPG
    IMG_5024.JPG
    543.1 KB · Views: 165

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can cut out that entire area on my parts car if you want cut off your mount entirely and sandwich the replacement sheet metal and mount on top of your tunnel. I'd recommend welding it though.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, folks. @ Markos, I will let you know if I need that part. For now I wish I lived closer to my cowboy hat friend in Austin who I hear is a great welder.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wayne, I replaced the two angle pieces with 1/8" steel versions. Rewelded them to the tunnel/surround.

HandbrakeMount.jpg