Got tires?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan, that is one fugly vehicle behind your coupe de grace. Did the dealership pay you to attract customers?

Question about width. Currently my coupe has 195 70's on her. I'd like to go to 205's but I'm concerned they may rub on the struts. The tires currently are about one-half inch from the struts. How much wider is a 205 than a 195 (10mm?)? If it is 10mm, is it safe to assume that's 5mm on each side? Seems the rubbing issue came up last time I was looking at tires (probably 20 years ago).
Cheers, Mark

225 x 60 x 14 - no rubbing on the struts, did need to roll the fenders

[/QUOTE]

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Starting this search again for 225 x 60 x 14
That is what is on my car. I suppose I could use 205 x 70 x 14 and perhaps it is just a mental thing but they would look so much thinner...

Coupe king 16 in replicas $1675.00 plus tires
Michelin XWX from Coker $1800.00 and use my own Alpina rims

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I vote 14" Alpinas and XWX's

Starting this search again for 225 x 60 x 14
That is what is on my car. I suppose I could use 205 x 70 x 14 and perhaps it is just a mental thing but they would look so much thinner...

Coupe king 16 in replicas $1675.00 plus tires
Michelin XWX from Coker $1800.00 and use my own Alpina rims

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI, Discount Tire (American Tire also) can order tires from Coker. You have to pay shipping, but there is no markup on the tires.

Are 175/70/14 too narrow? Coker has Vredesteins in this size for $150.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think that is too narrow and not tall enough. they have 195/70-14's as well ... but they are more $$$ 175 r14's are the same diameter as 195/70 r14s. the diameter of the stock tire is 24.9"

Stan, i don't know anybody that makes / sells a 205/65 ... at least in the us

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think that is too narrow and not tall enough. they have 195/70-14's as well ... but they are more $$$ 175 r14's are the same diameter as 195/70 r14s. the diameter of the stock tire is 24.9"

Stan, i don't know anybody that makes / sells a 205/65 ... at least in the us

The coker ad say 205 x 14 but does not say the sidewall height

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coker is saying that the XWX 195 70/14 is discontinued and the 205 70/14 is backordered till at least the end of May?

Any other sources?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The coker ad say 205 x 14 but does not say the sidewall height

According to the guy at discount, if the sidewall isn't listed, a default is applied. I can't remember the height though. Perhaps worth a google search or a call.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

There are tire size calculators on the web. Original was 175/80-14 (the 80 was not stamped but inferred), we all got 195/70-14, to keep same cicumference you would use 215/60-14. Every tire is different, Tirerack and others show actual running circumference, do a comparison. Invest the money you saved from you battery. :smile:

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
The XWXs have come down in price to a point where it would be an easy choice for me. 14" Alpinas. Best look IMO. So much so I keep drifting toward replacing my staggered 16" Alpinas....

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The XWXs have come down in price to a point where it would be an easy choice for me. 14" Alpinas. Best look IMO. So much so I keep drifting toward replacing my staggered 16" Alpinas....

They are $450 per tire at Coker, how much were they before they came down in price?

Anyone try 205/70 14 Michelin Defenders? $102 each

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan

When I was looking they were $600 a corner.

For $1800 plus nearly new Bridgestone Pole Position tires being sold locally I went for the 16" Alpinas. There is something so period perfect about the XWXs. Tall clean sidewall and then the notchy tread patten roll to the contact patch. Great look and they are a really good tire. With the flex in these cars maybe perfect.

That was about 2 1/2 years ago.

John

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I suppose it's because old cars have so much wheel gap. I have to sat that the "what tire size do you run?" Question only creates confusion for me. Usage is across the board!

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stan

The Defender is mid-level sedan tire.

If your going to go stock profiles with those brilliant Alpinas you might look at the Vredestein Sprint Classic. Another great tire and period correct looking. DeQuincey runs them and they look really good to me. And....much cheaper the the XWXs.

I run them on my English cars as the Michelin X is too pricey. Like them.

brea

Reaction score

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The best calculator out there is this one:
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

After you input a size, it will give you a range of optional sizes(widths & diameters) and show you how close your match is to the spec tire. Makes finding equivalents fast and easy. Wish it also had an option for bias ply, but I know that's a niche market.

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stan

The Defender is mid-level sedan tire.

If your going to go stock profiles with those brilliant Alpinas you might look at the Vredestein Sprint Classic. Another great tire and period correct looking. DeQuincey runs them and they look really good to me. And....much cheaper the the XWXs.

I run them on my English cars as the Michelin X is too pricey. Like them.

The V sprints are pretty sticky too, but treadlife isn't competitive for mini-van owners.