Glass Questions

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I took the tinting off my cars side windows today that the previos owner had put on. I am planning on replacing my front windshield and had determined the front windshield is clear. When I took the tint off the side windows I discovered they were green. Questions:
1- Was the front windshield replaced at some time?
2- When I replace the current clear front windshield should I replace it with green?
3- My passanger side window has several large scratches in it. If I do replace it will it match the rear side window?
4- If I do replace my side passanger window is the best source Walloth?

1971 2800CS imported by Hoffman in Dec of 1970

Thank you

Mike

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2 - I do not think they have to match, for visibility I prefer clear as I drive with sunglasses even if the windshield has a light tint. Not sure tinting helps that much to keep the cabin cool in sunny days, but in NorCal there is no such need.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ad.4 I think you have so many Friends locally who could support you with OE window, so you do not need to pay and risk buying from W&N... it should also minimize possible difference in tint shade. ... just my humble opinion

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i agree with @Krzysztof - side windows generally aren't pitted like windshields - just make sure it isn't scratched. they sometimes scratch along the vent window or some other edge if not adjusted correctly. side glass - i think it is best to use the same glass type so the color matches. windshields tend to pit from road dirt so its best to get new

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Side windows are often badly scratched. Common replacement at the shop.
Shipping on side glass is no where as costly as windshields or as perilous.
All side glass on US cars are green. Delivered retail as a pair is 600.00 including sales tax, currency conversion, shipping, customs and brokerage fees.

Buy it yourself price today is about 480.00 as a set.

I can’t imagine any difference in tint from the manufacturer. Every piece over 20 years has been correct.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just to confirm if I replace only the drivers side front window, my has some major scratches, it will match the back quarter drivers side window. Or are you saying you replace both peices of glass at the same time. My back pannel is fine

Mike

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Side windows are often badly scratched. Common replacement at the shop.
Shipping on side glass is no where as costly as windshields or as perilous.
All side glass on US cars are green. Delivered retail as a pair is 600.00 including sales tax, currency conversion, shipping, customs and brokerage fees.

Buy it yourself price today is about 480.00 as a set.

I can’t imagine any difference in tint from the manufacturer. Every piece over 20 years has been correct.

Is the marking and lettering from W&N which You have received recently exactly the same (same font, suppliers etc)?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Same font as last shipment? As original?

Coupe glass has been made for over 50 years.
BMW doesn’t make glass. They buy from various venders over time just like Walloth
My side glass is ordered from 2 years ago.
Windshields from this year. This year I believe Walloth went back to OEM Dora windshield manufacturer instead of Nord last year.

For more details contact [email protected]

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have bought about 40 windshields from Walloth

They fit just fine.

A single windshield comes in a cardboard box.

Shipping is 350 to 450

dbower

Reaction score
I have 2 (R and L) REAR side windows (not from in the doors) with some of the mechanism attached. Make a donation to the site and you can have these for the cost of shipping. Happy holidays!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have found there is a slight difference in color from the new rear glass (from w+n) and the old green glass (duroglas) its not a major difference, but i notice a slight difference in the color. i made a living by noticing a difference in color - YMMV, the newer glass is slightly a bluer green than the old stuff which is more like a coke bottle green. that being said, i am using 3 different glasses in my coupe - i have a new BMW rear glass, vintage Duroglas in sides + doors and the front is Sekurit. the Sekurit and the Duroglas are very similar in color. to me the worst thing is to use 2 different glass manufacturers on the same plane (sides)