Getrag 265 gearbox swap:

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have located a Getrag 5 speed gearbox with the speedo drive. While the seller is confident that the box is "just fine", I would be more comfortable in having it completely gone through prior to installation. Is there a transmission rebuilder that is commonly used by forum members (preferably in Southern California)?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My auto transmission guru built himself a transmission dynamometer to test them outside the car...
I do not know if he can test a manual.
The off the shelf machine is probably expensive:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have located a Getrag 5 speed gearbox with the speedo drive. While the seller is confident that the box is "just fine", I would be more comfortable in having it completely gone through prior to installation. Is there a transmission rebuilder that is commonly used by forum members (preferably in Southern California)?
I believe that parts are so difficult to find for these transmissions that it is difficult to find a shop that will service them. Metric Mechanic still advertises that they work on them, but they are not in CA.

You may want to get in touch with @sfdon and see that he does with his transmissions.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I understand *some* parts are available now that weren't - A guy name "Pete" is used by many of us to re-seal it and likely do some other stuff again @sfdon can help. Lastly I really liked this thread that talks about what I was under the impression was impossible - read the entire thread, it talks about parts, a bearing puller and using heat to remove the bearing (I think):

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I understand *some* parts are available now that weren't - A guy name "Pete" is used by many of us to re-seal it and likely do some other stuff again @sfdon can help. Lastly I really liked this thread that talks about what I was under the impression was impossible - read the entire thread, it talks about parts, a bearing puller and using heat to remove the bearing (I think):
I believe that parts are so difficult to find for these transmissions that it is difficult to find a shop that will service them. Metric Mechanic still advertises that they work on them, but they are not in CA.

You may want to get in touch with @sfdon and see that he does with his transmissions.

I have ben talking with Don, which is never boring....

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
When you get ready to install it, we have the shift tower and the transmission support bracket.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with metric mechanic. They are intimate with both the close ratio and standard overdrive 265’s. I know that they are not local but I would rather have intimacy and full knowledge in my rebuilder rather than location