Genuine Alpina 3.0 CSL Numbers?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
some politeness, tell us something…

….Oh yes, maybe hello my name is Wunderbar, Maybe i live in 7788 sweet allee, Earlyalpinanburgus, south bank, Maybe I love e3s, Maybe my father worked for EMW in the fiveties ate chucrut and drank heffeweissbier while he placed those white and red emblems in hoods and trunks…

then…?

else AI…

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alpina will only have information on cars that they worked on in-house. since (at that time) they primarily had a small network of dealers, they do not have information on what the dealers did or sold. it is also possible that the car was converted at a later date, which could have been done by Alpina or by one of the dealers.

that being said, if you look on the Alpina website and find what was really offered for specific Alpina models, you can start checking the boxes of what is on the car - the more complete, the higher chance of having a real Alpina.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm based in the UK, and my father has a 3.0 CSL that appears to have been worked on by Alpina at some point. I'm trying to track its history, and gain an insight to its life before being in his possession.

My first thought being a production/register list.

Best,
Wunderbar

Hi Wunderbar,
You dad has or had?
There was infact a UK based Indian Dr who owned a CSL modified by Alpina but that was a LHD car. If this rings bells, send me a message.

best
Keshav

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a Golf B2 Alpina in Ontario. Unrusted, in good hands, waiting for the owner (Who many here probably know) to move into the next phase. Saw it once. I love Golf on a CSL.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm based in the UK, and my father has a 3.0 CSL that appears to have been worked on by Alpina at some point. I'm trying to track its history, and gain an insight to its life before being in his possession.

My first thought being a production/register list.

Best,
Wunderbar

oh Wunderbar…
that is wunderbar !
envious, wish my father had that taste
and good that he did not sell it before so it arrived to your tenancy
well done
feel free to share pics, no matter if they are from the old days or from a couple of days ago

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This may help: https://bmwcsregistry.org/list/

Also, I believe it might be worthwhile to contact Alpina to see if they maintain records of their vehicles.

very well said Chris,

and also…

”.
Also, I believe Alpina kept records of their own. Technically, there would be no Alpina 3.0 CSLs that "left the factory." Alpina did not become a manufacturer until 1983, so the cars they tuned likely left the BMW factory as BMWs.

If these ideas don't work, I suggest you attempt to find some of the collectors who have either CSLs or BMWs or both in their collections. Often, these people have already travelled the path you are looking for.

@Odcsl

i know the guy…
he travelled that exact path 5 years ago…
send me PM…if you consider it …

Christoph

Reaction score
Alpina will only have information on cars that they worked on in-house. since (at that time) they primarily had a small network of dealers, they do not have information on what the dealers did or sold. it is also possible that the car was converted at a later date, which could have been done by Alpina or by one of the dealers.
Exactly. Alpina still know today what they did then, but not what dealers or privateers did.

BMW keep records where each car was delivered to. Cars that became Alpina from the start usually were delivered there. If your car was delivered somewhere else, e.g. Britain, a later conversion is likely. As a 3.0 CSL is a rare and valuable car you will have to disclose a lot of your car's identity to BMW to get any information. Enough copied CSL around already, that's why.

Your other post <https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/how-many-alpina-3-0-csl-left-the-factory.44950> says the car is RHD. All +2285NNN+ cars came as heavy version. I am really curious if Alpina worked on even one of them at all. Please let the audience know.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To the moderators, @rsporsche , @eriknetherlands could you please merge the two topics addressing the same subject, possibly move this one to the CSL page where the other conversation is at….thanks

There is one person who has all the information about any and everything that connects Alpina to the BMW E9 CSLs and non CSL’s of that era (2002, E3, E12 etc) to whom I’ve passed on this conversation.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To the moderators, @rsporsche , @eriknetherlands could you please merge the two topics addressing the same subject, possibly move this one to the CSL page where the other conversation is at….thanks

There is one person who has all the information about any and everything that connects Alpina to the BMW E9 CSLs and non CSL’s of that era (2002, E3, E12 etc) to whom I’ve passed on this conversation.
thank you Keshav, this was already on my list to look into

Odcsl

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses, it really is appreciated. I'm excited to see what can be discovered.

I unfortunately do not have anything to hand, but will take some images this week to share!

Odcsl

Reaction score
IMG_7279.jpeg

I have found a photo!

There was confirmation from BMW GB it was an Alpina my dad had mentioned, but had wanted to explore this further.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice car!
The windshield wiper deflector is on the wrong side, and the door is ajar, but otherwise perfect.
Hope Wunderdad lets Wunderbar drive it around the south bank.