Fuel tank internals

Paul02

Reaction score
Any difference on the inside ? csi V cs fuel tank .
Also where's the best deal on a new one or does anything else fit.
Thanks Paul

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
CSi fuel tanks have an accumulator ring on the bottom of tank that surrounds the bottom of the fuel inlet assembly. Keeps gas from draining away from the intake, I guess, when the tank is close to empty. Also, my '75 CSi tank is deeper than my '74 CS tank (the sender tube is therefore longer in the CSi tank.) No other internal differences as far as I know.

Paul02

Reaction score
Thanks Bill
Reason I asked was that I am converting my car to injection and wondered if my cs petrol tank would cause a fuel starvation on cornering etc when a proper csi tank would not.
All the best
Paul

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I converted my CS to D-jet last year using a CSi tank. Do you have a CSi tank? Just so you know, the CSi tank has an opening for the fuel intake assembly which is mounted on the tank with about 8-10 7mm screws in addition to the fuel level sender opening. The intake hose connects with a 10 or 12mm hose (forgot which size) to the fuel pump, not the usual 7-8 mm hose. The fuel return connection hooks up there also. Altogether the CSi tank connections are different than the CS.
Having thought about it now, the ring on the bottom of the tank probably has more to do with keeping sediment away from the fuel intake rather than preventing fuel starvation...

Paul02

Reaction score
Thanks Bill
So if you had to do the job again what tank would you use ?

I have no tank at the moment as my cs tank is split , but before that I was going to use SF Dons idea of an e30 318is internal fuel pump that would have fitted nicely into my cs tank.

Bear in mind I am fitting as we speak my E12 535i engine . So whats the best way to do this now that I have no tank , what should I buy .

All the best
Paul

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
D-jet systems use an external pump and I had the CSi tank from the same car as the D-jet so it was a no-brainer. Haven't played around with internal pumps so I don't have any advice about that. Good luck with your project.