Fuel injector testing

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am just wondering if anyone has had any success in setting up their own injector test rig
Just asking as my car has been off the road since the late 80’s and perhaps my injectors might actually be okay, they might be gummed up with old fuel, but Maybe I could set up a rig that would allow me to clean them or test them.

I know I’m probably clutching at straws thinking that they might be okay , but it can’t hurt to ask.
I don’t mind trying them “on the bench “
But I definitely don’t want to “test” them on the engine, as I don’t want to cause any problems in the cylinders of the engine , with possible overfueling etc etc.

Last edited:

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My E9 has old school carbs... but I did clean motorcycle injectors on a bench with fair success. There are inexpensive kits that use aerosol cleaner and a 12v battery.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC this was brought up on another forum. I believe guys were using a 9volt battery to actuate them while sticking them in various noxious solutions they came up with.Maybe get them going and douse with brake cleaner or some fuel injection cleaner which should be available at any parts store

Barry.b

Reaction score
I could be facing a large bill if I was to just go out and purchase 6 new injectors and I will gladly ( somewhat ) buy them if I do need them , but I’d at least like to test mine on the bench beforehand.
I could then spend that money on a new headliner and carpet set instead :)
Can anyone recommend a good way to produce the pulse signal that would be needed to fire the injectors ??
Thanks again guys !

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I could be facing a large bill if I was to just go out and purchase 6 new injectors and I will gladly ( somewhat ) buy them if I do need them , but I’d at least like to test mine on the bench beforehand.
I could then spend that money on a new headliner and carpet set instead :)
Can anyone recommend a good way to produce the pulse signal that would be needed to fire the injectors ??
Thanks again guys !
Where would you buy 6 new injectors from, if you needed to replace your old ones?

Barry.b

Reaction score
Where would you buy 6 new injectors from, if you needed to replace your old ones?
Hi Sandhu
Don has recommended using Fuel Injector Corporation in California.
I do believe that it is a really good option, but I think for now I am just going to see if mine are serviceable.
My car was taken off the road in the late 80’s because of a porous cylinder head. So in theory the injectors could be still okay if they get serviced.
I have been in contact with mr.fuel injector UK since my last post , so it looks like I will send mine off to them and hopefully if they are not seized shut or burnt out they could be re usable.