FS: Stroked S38 looking for an E9 project

philom5

Reaction score
Hi, I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Parts section or Restoration section so decided to go with General Discussion.

I have a stroked S38 engine from an 87M6 that I was planning on putting in a 70s vintage 280Z but decided to go in a different direction. If anyone is interested please visit this post on Mye28.com - http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131340

This engine would be an awesome power plant for an E9 resto-mod project. Let me know if anyone has question, feel free to call any time. Engine is in Long Beach, CA.

Thx.

Phil.
310-766-1923

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi, I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Parts section or Restoration section so decided to go with General Discussion.

I have a stroked S38 engine from an 87M6 that I was planning on putting in a 70s vintage 280Z but decided to go in a different direction. If anyone is interested please visit this post on Mye28.com - http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131340

This engine would be an awesome power plant for an E9 resto-mod project. Let me know if anyone has question, feel free to call any time. Engine is in Long Beach, CA.

Thx.

Phil.
310-766-1923

Hey, I can speak for this guy. If you're looking for a fun BMW motor for you coupe this would be a good one.
Phil and I are friends from MyE28 and both own E28 M5's.
I'm sure this motor is excellent.
Gary

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just wiped the drool from my keyboard after looking through the mye28 thread. :D Though I am almost certainly nothing more than a tire kicker, I didn't notice a price for the motor?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just wiped the drool from my keyboard after looking through the mye28 thread. :D Though I am almost certainly nothing more than a tire kicker, I didn't notice a price for the motor?
I think you need to call him. He's a great salesman. ;)

philom5

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, how's your Blue Baby coming along ?

So the S38 is basically setup as a race engine designed to run aftermarket engine management. It's priced accordingly based on what stock S38 rebuilds go for, which is about 13-14k. I'd still love to throw this thing into a 280Z with a 6 speed, custom driveline, diff, suspension, etc.. But that would be an expensive 3 year project. The E9 swap is much cleaner and is probably as close as you'll get to putting an M49 in the car.

The pics on Mye28 don't show the most recent modification to the engine. About a year ago I had 02 bungs welded into each of the header tubes allowing for independent cylinder fuel trims at specific RPMs. Kinda anal I know but thought it would be a cool features since most aftermarket engine management software have features for this.

Call with any questions.

By the way, I also have a set of BBS RS 212s that need to be rebuilt and put back together. In case someone here is looking for a set.

Thx !

Last edited: