FOR SALE STAGGERED ORIGINAL ALPINAS 16 x7 and 16 x 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dp,

I have been watching E9s for over two years and have noticed and have repeatedly commented that there seems to be allot of interest about these cars but there is NO real as you say "ATTITUDE" or enthusiasm...

When just last week a beautiful running and driving 1972 Malaga E9 got 1500 hits on ebay which is a huge amount, but then sold for only $9,000 that says volumes about the HO HUM "ATTITUDE" that most people have for our beautiful cars...
Granted the car was probably just a 6 but it drove, the air blows cold and the car looked very presentable but again it only brought $9,000??? Thats incredible!

In 1971 you could have bought either a 3.0CS, 911S, 280SL, E-Type Jag or a Ferrari Dino for around the same money...

Try finding a running and driving and presentable 911S, a 280SL or E-Type Jag for $9,000... That will not happen!

Also remember that numerous people looked at including a Classic Car Dealer and they all walked away from the GREAT PUMPKIN which finally after months on the market the price was lowered until offered at only $16,000 OBO... Looking at this car I still insist that there is something VERY VERY WRONG with this situation:-(

Maybe if everyone in the E9 community had the PORSCHE, FERRARI, MERCEDES, JAGUAR, ... "ATTITUDE" then our cars would demand more respect from the rest of the Vintage Car Collectors and would bring what they are worth...

I'll leave the ATTITUDE component out of it but there is a lot to the idea of the commercial value of something being what the buyer is prepared to pay. We can all parse why a Porsche may be worth more than an E9 but the exponential omponent is clearly driven by what the Porsche guy / gal is prepared to pay.

It is one of the great things about the E9. For an absolutely beautiful low build count vehicle they are a remarkable deal. BUT I am also convinced this will change as it has with virtually all cars in this category. Not why I own one, but absolutely why I got burning stares from my wife for months when I insisted the purchase needed to happen now!

When the day comes that the E9 is commanding commensurate prices with its peers the originality issue will mean much more than it does now. Not good or bad, just a fact. In the mean time? Enjoy the ride!

waynesie

Reaction score
I race against old Porsches all the time, very well prepared ones. My 2.0L BMW eats them up. There are a couple of Porsche guys in our club that can drive, but most Porsche drivers have more wallet than skill. Nothing better than chasing down and passing a $100k preped 911 with a 3.0L with my little 2.0L BMW.

calshamus

Reaction score
I've noticed a trend on this particular forum in the Cars/Parts for sale sections, and I feel compelled to call it out as I've never seen anything like it before in all the forums for all the cars/trucks I've ever associated myself with.

Normal protocol in the "for sale" sections, as I'm accustomed to is: If you are interested in the item with the intent to BUY then members ask questions and make offers, and yes on occasion correct inaccuracies with respect to item descriptions. That's it.

Here it seems members regularly take liberty to bash the item and the member on a regular basis. Members that post their parts/cars are regularly "accosted" by the e9 mob and end up having to defend themselves or the item for sale with respect to their for asking price, past transactions, what things sold for in the past here and in other places, etc... Certainly if an item is misrepresented, then this should be addressed, but this is not the behavior I'm calling out. Members here are seemingly preventing other members from selling thier items. Again, I've never seen anything like it.

In short, if you don't want to buy it don't. If you think it's too expensive, either make a lower offer or move on. If you don't like a particular aspect of an item, keep it to yourself. If you're aware of a better deal, PM other members don't post it publicly on another member's item. In short, respect other members and don't impede their ability to sell an item.

For example. I posted my car for sale, which garnered a 100 posts and almost 8000 views and after all of that there was 1 offer that ended up being a non-offer. However, there were 100 posts! Members chiming in on this and that, other cars that sold, links to other cars, members questioning a number of things including my integrity, making incorrect claims about the car, prices, etc. Of course there are exceptions as a few quality members that I've had the pleasure to actually meet in person and actually inspected the car in person posted relevant things about the car, which would serve to HELP in the sale of the car. However, these posts were buried in the mire of BS that filled the post.

Again, I've never seen anything like it. I'll also note here that I've meet several members in my short affiliation with this forum that have stated that they "never" post here...I'm beginning to understand why. There is a serious negative mob mentality at work here and it's a bit disturbing...and you wonder why the prices of these cars aren't going anywhere. Really? It's not that hard to figure out after participating on this forum for the short time that I have.

Help don't hinder.

Last edited:

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Based on the posts it just seems like execmalibu is interested in the E9 coupes as an investment and for the potential appreciation in value where most of us own these cars because we love them regardless of the fact if they are an investment or a money pit. Nothing wrong with his mentality, it's just a different frame of mind than most of us have here and that is why I think there seems to be some friction.

x2

aus freude am fahren = no attitude

maybe it is inappropriate to say out loud that bleating about "value" or "what these beauties are worth" is off-putting, but not all of us wear plaid coats. Or izod polo shirts. Or gold chains. OR get dirt under our nails, commute in our coupes or take E9's to club events or even just drive the ever-loving **** out of 'em before they rot away. If its to each his own, then which of the each are you willing to allow to be their own?

In other words, its no less valid to say
"thats what I think its worth and how dare you disagree"
than it is to say
"shut the **** up and go ahead and stash them til you get your price"

...it just seemed more polite for me to say "if it was a deal, they'd have sold"...I guess that was wrong though, because I was looking at "the deal" from a buyer's perspective. Clearly, in this case, the seller is looking from the seller's perspective. Just tired of hearing it.

-30- (and unfollowing this 7-page whizz-fest)

tmason

Reaction score
I don't think we need to smack a dead horse here but selling parts to the Forum Guy's is best for all here(IMHO).I know for me buying anything from the net or CL is a gamble that I'm willing to take,and sometimes if the person seems legit I buy without even seeing the part.(Note:Getrag 265 on my garage floor is one part I wired money and he stored it till I could get it pickup 4 months later and never saw it till it was delivered by a friend)Not the best way to buy but if the price is right and feel right, why not.I'm a trusting guy and believe that it will turn out.I know I have bashed on a few things here myself and if nothing else it makes you look at the big picture and ask what you want price wise doesn't mean you will get it but it is a Free market.But if were me the Coupe King wheels look pretty good straight and coated. Now back to the wheels... Michael is interested if they are still for sale:) Go Figure!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is a bit of a paternalistic monitoring of the For Sale section which can be a bit heavy on the seller but reassures the buyer of the price and part bona fides.

I would not take it as bashing sellers, just a benign biblical duty of being our brother's keepers when it comes to purchases. It is useful to counteract the buying addiction sometimes associated with our old cars.

Good luck with the staggered Alpinas! I wanted Alpinas 7 years ago when I just got the car but by now the lust is gone. Sorry.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Michael, The wheels are no longer available...

Michael,

Based upon all of the responses and to avoid any drama it is probably smarter for me NOT to sell the ALPINA Wheels on this site... Better to be stuck with a set of Original Alpina wheels then to offend someone...

Contact ERIK at COUPEKING they have beautiful wheels for much less...

Last edited:

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
For sale ads are just that-something is for sale. Negative comments on price or anything else should be deleted, and on other sites they are-or just flat out blocked.

People may think they are helping me by saying something is too expensive but they're not. I'm a big boy and if I want to pay $3000 for a scheel seat or $2500 for legit wheels then I will. Outright fraud or bad actor? Well then you should say something.

And since we're talking about Porsche...when a local BMW "expert" saw my ratty E9 he pored over it and told me everything that was "wrong" with it. Funny, I never asked. I later took the car to an early 911 R Gruppe event and even with obvious issues I got "nice car".."I've always loved these"..."sweet"...

execmalibu

Reaction score
69 2800cs... Porsche guys love my Coupe!

69 2800cs
Every New Years Day a bunch of us usually Porsche Lunatics get up early and go for a High Speed BURN through the local canyons... Afterwards we meet a the home of the famous 911 mechanic, Tony from TLG Porsche...

The Porsche guys crowd around my Coupe and comment how they love the car! When I drive any of my Coupes but mainly when people see the GREAT PUMPKIN I always get thumbs up from people... My buddy is a serious Vintage Car Guy.. ( Chinese Eye Bentleys, Jags XK120/E-Type, Jensen Interceptor Conv, Aston Martin Vantage Volante, Speedster, MGTC, Dino Spyder, Citroen DS21, Rolls Corniche, Lotus 19, Alfas etc) when he saw the GREAT PUMPKIN the other day he went crazy and he absolutely loved it...

Plus you are absolutely right about what others say...
Years ago I found a set of Porsche 550 Spyder GT brakes that the guy wanted the incredibly ridiculous price of $800 for the complete set... I wanted them for my Carrera Speedster so I bought them... My buddies ALL said I was crazy... $800 was waaay too much... I said "show me another set that are for sale for any price" and that would always instantly shut them up!!! When I finally sold my Carrera Speedster 15 years later I kept the GT Brakes... I sold the brakes for $5,800.

I have a policy that I can always can find more money but the rare parts are usually not available...

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$1795 if you can get them for that (and they don't need to be trued) plus $600 to refinish equals $2395. Not too bad.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Those wheels @$1,795 seem like a good deal+ $700 to restore and (4) tires...

If any of you can score those Staggered Alpina wheels at the very cheap price of $1,795 that would be a great deal... The seller says only one of them is bent:roll:

Then you just take a couple of hours to box them up, load them into your car and take them to your local shipper and ship them off to be restored for $125+$60 shipping per wheel...

When they return you would have a perfect set of Alpina Wheels for around $2,550...

All you need to do then is load them up again and take them to your local tire store and buy four new tires for $500... Then load them up one more time and drag them back home... All this would only take about a week or two...

Order some new Alpina center caps at $100 and you should be in great shape..

Just think for $3,100 and a week or so of your time dragging the wheels all over town you will finally have Original Staggered Alpinas...

You guys still think my very nice set with new tires when offered at $2,500 was too much?

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeff,

You're beating a dead horse. $2500 with good tires if they don't need to be refinished is a smokin' deal. There just aren't any interested buyers here at this time, hang onto them. And Stan agrees!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.