Finishing School for a Fjord 3.0 CS / 100 projects to improve a Coupe / Countdown

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 84: Install the factory stickers

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 117

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry out of sequence.

Project 77: restore the original jack, lug wrench and wheel chalk.

Question for the experts: Which jack is correct for a 433XXXX VIN no.?
I say the correct jack for later cars is the one on the right.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 85: Install the missing door weatherstripping (x2)

When I purchased the car both of these pieces of weatherstripping were missing. A tip of the chapeau to @sfdon for the selling me the trailing edge gasket. The lower edge gaskets are from W&N.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 76

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, we are at a milestone. The car is now fully assembled. Not finished. But fully assembled. Here are the first pics of the assembled 1974 3.0 CS.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 85

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gasp! I am in awe! The pace, the quality, the level of originality combined with what is available today and what fits and works better or looks better, is amazing. All this and you share these incredibly detailed photos. Should really be a collection of steps on how to properly restore an E9. I know there are many variables, but the steps you have chronicled will assist many of us when we try to attempt the same. Thank you Paul! :)

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gasp! I am in awe! The pace, the quality, the level of originality combined with what is available today and what fits and works better or looks better, is amazing. All this and you share these incredibly detailed photos. Should really be a collection of steps on how to properly restore an E9. I know there are many variables, but the steps you have chronicled will assist many of us when we try to attempt the same. Thank you Paul! :)
@bluecoupe30! I am most happy to share. This E9 community has been extremely generous to me and these projects. If some of these small projects helps you or others confront the restoration reality -and it saves you some time? Then I love it. Efficiency is one of the most gratify aspects of this fine hobby.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 86: Enter the car in a Concours.

Nothing says finished like entering the car in a Concours. I use it to create a deadline for completion. It's usually a great motivator to absolutely finish a car.
The La Jolla Concours was on Sunday April 21st. I had entered the car back in Feb. anticipating that I was close enough to completion that the date was realistic. The only category the car fit was European Classics 1950's and 1960s Closed (Coupes). There was some brutal competition with some freshly restored E Type Jaguars and a stunning Zagato Bodied Maserati A6G that had recently won Best of Show at Villa d'Este in Lake Como. Hard to compete at that level. See photos.

I did not place, but it was a great weekend including a coastal drive the day before. Other events will be added to the calendar in 2024 as we tick off the final projects on this 3.0 CS. Photo was early am before the remaining cars in my class arrived.

Attachments

• IMG_0171 (1).jpg
    IMG_0171 (1).jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0170 (1).jpg
    IMG_0170 (1).jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 52

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amazing work Paul. I think I saw that Maserati at Amelia Island years ago, it has the super cool Weber carbs with the mini trumpets for the idle jet circuit in between the regular trumpets.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hopefully you bring it to legends or some other nor-cal show so i can admire it Bummed I did not make it to La Jolla, had it on my calander but had a conflict

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My wife and I had the opportunity to drop by and see Paul and his car on Saturday on the way back from San Diego. It looks perfect inside and out. It was great to visit with him while his detail guys cleaned the car for the show.