Field Trip

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Michael (@bluecoupe30! ) invited me to attend an open house at the restoration shop he works with in Delta, BC, Canada. Mike has had some work done on his E9 there and they have also done all the body work and paint on a non BMW project Mike is in progress on.

I won't spill the beans on Mike's latest project, but I can assure you that it is a make/model/year that is loved by car folks and non car folks alike. :)

Mike's home is about 1 hour from my house. 1/2 hour to the border and another half hour to Mike's. I'm in Canada often enough that I have a Nexus pass which allows me to skip the line at the border. It also gets me TSA precheck on flights. The best $50 (plus an in depth background check :)) I have ever spent.

A December day in North West Washington and British Columbia. Who would have thunk we were taking our vintage BMWs...but we were. Cloudy and cool but doable. We met at Mikes and caravaned the short distance to RWM. We were early and found front row parking...

IMG_8809.JPG

IMG_8807.JPG

Quite a collection of guests' cars in the parking lot.

IMG_8811.JPG

IMG_8806.JPG

Note the rare and desirable Isuzu Ballerina Sedan.

The shop was filled with in progress projects and plenty of delicious eats. One recently finished car....an E28 M5. Perfect black body and paint and a fresh black interior (Canada only?).

Thanks, Mike for a great outing!

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cool - Looks like some neat hardware.
One of these days I need to get up north and see you guys.... (and when I finish the shop here - you can come down and do this end as well).

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Michael (@bluecoupe30! ) invited me to attend an open house at the restoration shop he works with in Delta, BC, Canada. Mike has had some work done on his E9 there and they have also done all the body work and paint on a non BMW project Mike is in progress on.

I won't spill the beans on Mike's latest project, but I can assure you that it is a make/model/year that is loved by car folks and non car folks alike. :)

Mike's home is about 1 hour from my house. 1/2 hour to the border and another half hour to Mike's. I'm in Canada often enough that I have a Nexus pass which allows me to skip the line at the border. It also gets me TSA precheck on flights. The best $50 (plus an in depth background check :)) I have ever spent.

A December day in North West Washington and British Columbia. Who would have thunk we were taking our vintage BMWs...but we were. Cloudy and cool but doable. We met at Mikes and caravaned the short distance to RWM. We were early and found front row parking...

View attachment 153263

View attachment 153265

Quite a collection of guests' cars in the parking lot.

View attachment 153266

View attachment 153267

Note the rare and desirable Isuzu Ballerina Sedan.

The shop was filled with in progress projects and plenty of delicious eats. One recently finished car....an E28 M5. Perfect black body and paint and a fresh black interior (Canada only?).

Thanks, Mike for a great outing!
Great pics Dick! Thank you for coming up. Great to talk and share. Also cannot believe we could do this with our 2 Baikal Beauties, December 11th! So pleased the rain held off! Mike

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice images Dick. You and Mike should think about doing a photo shoot of your two cars in one of the many lovely settings around Vancouver.

5280JB

Reaction score
One recently finished car....an E28 M5. Perfect black body and paint and a fresh black interior (Canada only?).

Specific production numbers are often debated, but sources say Black-on-Black E28 M5's were 30 U.S. examples late in the '88 model year run, with Canada receiving 72 (pretty rare within a total run of only 1,370 cars). All others were Black exterior with "Natur" (Tan) leather interiors. Many have since been converted to black interiors over the years. Regardless, very cool to see one!

Looks like you had a great event - Love seeing the vintage/classic stuff out there being driven. I really like the Bavaria!

P.S. I'm an alumni of Western Washington U. in Bellingham - really enjoyed my time there!

Jim

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice images Dick. You and Mike should think about doing a photo shoot of your two cars in one of the many lovely settings around Vancouver.
Vancouver is a beautiful city for sure. Coming in from the south it reminds me of Hong Kong from Kowloon with the big, tall skyline and the mountains in the background.
GettyImages-462593783-5ae4cd69119fa80036b8cdda.jpg

Specific production numbers are often debated, but sources say Black-on-Black E28 M5's were 30 U.S. examples late in the '88 model year run, with Canada receiving 72 (pretty rare within a total run of only 1,370 cars). All others were Black exterior with "Natur" (Tan) leather interiors. Many have since been converted to black interiors over the years. Regardless, very cool to see one!

Thanks for clearing that up. I had never seen a B on B one before
Looks like you had a great event - Love seeing the vintage/classic stuff out there being driven. I really like the Bavaria!

P.S. I'm an alumni of Western Washington U. in Bellingham - really enjoyed my time there!

So many students come here for school and stay after graduating. It is a pretty special place especially if you like the outdoors.

Some scenes of the campus in this...

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great idea Bill. I have a few sites in mind, but we will have to wait until this historic, crippling, snowfall is over and done. We usually get a few "dustings" December, then perhaps again in January. But this past week...way too much! Back to seasonal rain by Saturday and all will be washed away. ;)