Eurofest winner

bimmerlon

Reaction score
Our forum members did very well at Eurofest. Here is a list of winners as I know them!
LouAnn Shirk 2002 Tii
Don Bower 2800 cs
Amy Lester 3.0 cs
Gary Beck M5
George Whitely 2800 cs won the crowd pleaser award (Oh that white interior!!!
Luis won the Glasurit award with the beautiful golf 3.0cs
I hope I didn't forget anyone!!
Lonny

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

coupelady

Reaction score
Luis, it was a pleasure to meet you at Euro. Thank you for representing the CS coupes so well, Congratulations. Tried to find you afterward to congratulate you in person.

Amy

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys; what a great show. Thanks for the post Lonny and good seeing you and LouAnn again and meeting everybody else. I turned it somewhat early on Saturday night as I wanted to be on the road early to drive the 820 miles back home by sunset on Sunday.

Does anyone know where to find out what all the awards were? There was a whole lot of voting that went on and I can't find the results anywhere. The "awards dinner" really had no awards given out, which was puzzling given that they had a tablefull of them. Did I leave too early at 10 pm?

Some stats. Took me 13 hours each way including stops of about 40-50 minutes total). The coupe performed wonderfully and averaged 20 MPG (on the two or three fuel stops where I did the calculation) at speeds mostly between 76 and 80 mph, with the 4 speed box, so between 3,600 and 3,750 RPM. Consumed no measurable oil (original engine rebuilt about 3k miles ago).

The only thing to try and improve for the comfort of such long trips is the seats. Although I've "restuffed" the drivers seat with a modified E60 lower seat cushion I may have to try the mod that others have done to raise the tracks in the front but I'm not sure how/if that would help. I had some sciatica-type lower back discomfort going down the side/back of my leg(s) which I never get on road trips on other cars so I have to try something. Otherwise, the car was a real joy to drive with *perfect* weather and great road trip playlists.

Doug Dolan

Reaction score
I got an e-mail from Euro the next day with all the awards announcements and an apology for not being able to get the information out Saturday. I can forward it to anyone who's interested if you'll let me know your e-mail address.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Doug; I didn't receive that.

Congratulations to all the winners!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nicely done Luis. I saw his beautiful Bavaria (Also Taiga) as it won an award at Toronto Tedfest a couple of summers ago. That seems to be his way of winning. Drive all night, win and split!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Luis A,

First - congratulations. I'd love to see more pictures of your car.

Second, you commented about leg support when driving long distances. I do not know what model year you have, but if it is one of the earlier cars (73 or lower), you may be able to find a good solution. The '74 model cars have a seat bottom that is identical to the other years in all aspects, except that it is extended by about 1 1/2 to 2" toward the knees. This gives better thigh support.

The '74 I bought had aftermarket seats in it, and after about 4 months of looking for replacement OE seats, I bought a pair of '74's with upholstery and padding that was in pretty bad shape, and a pair of earlier seats from a European delivery car that had been in storage for a long time (only the seats, no head restraints). I'm combining them, and will install new leather on the front/sides of the earlier seat backrest padding and full replacement of padding and leather on the '74 seat bottom frames.

The upholstery pattern, is of course, different on the '74's from the earlier cars as well (but, if you disassemble the seat bottom and install new 'lengthened' upholstery, it will be easy to see how you can make the 'pluck and tuck' look appropriate). Interestingly, the euro seats have smaller tubes for the head restraint posts, so I am using the '74 fiberglass backrest components with the early seat padding - perfect fit.

I suspect it won't be easy to find the '74 seat bottoms, but if you can, I think it might reduce the pain problem for longer drives.

Last edited: