eBay Malaga

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Be more interesting if it wasn't rusty, but not 45k interesting...

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I’m thinking but am not 100% sure this is the first car I looked at but didn’t purchase in Texas several years back. I remember the 2 different styles of Recaro seats. I landed in Houston and the then current owners picked me up at the airport. After almost a hours drive I got to see the car, walked half way around the car, looked under the car and then at the driver’s floor and immediately offered the owners payment to drive me to the bus station. They were pretty upset with me that I passed on the car after only a 3 minute inspection…… said they were open to lower offers. My only offer was $40 to bring me to the bus station. I took a Greyhound up to Dallas and then a high speed trolley to Plano, next morning I inspected (for about 2 hours) & bought my coupe. Sure glad :smile::smile::smile::smile: I had the backup car lined up even though it was an automatic at the time. ~ John Buchtenkirch

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John, how does it look several years later? Clean Texas Title, sad we can't say the same about the car.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
John, how does it look several years later? Clean Texas Title, sad we can't say the same about the car.

The first thing I noticed was the trim was beat on the car, not good enough to consider repainting the car. After opening the driver’s door I noticed the rugs had heavy water damage & were wet & rotted. I looked under the floor and noticed rust was pushing undercoat off the inner rocker edges and the jig plug hole in the center of the foot well.. Went up top and looked at the backside of the firewall and saw rust dripping down and that was it for me. Never even bothered to check the engine compartment or trunk…... I was done, I knew enough. I had high power lighting for the firewall & floor underside, I didn’t even have to take my mirror on an extension handle out of my suitcase. Oh yeah, the driver’s window had 3 round sandblast spots on it, looked like some dim wit was trying the clear his blast gun by banging it on the glass.

The owner way, way oversold the car by telling me the former owner kept it in a humidity controlled room. What he and a member had told me had set my expectations too high, I was pretty disappointed when I saw it. But everyone rates condition of cars differently. Being a heavy (collision) man, I’ve had to crawl around and inspect the underside of hundreds of uni-body cars with excellent lighting, I can read undercoating better than most people can read paint and I just didn’t like what I saw. So I passed, thank the Lord, I had a backup car to look at.

Condition now: someone’s trying to hide something on the underside with fresh undercoating but they were too cheap to do the whole thing so to me that stands out like a sore thumb. It’s obvious, the sunroof doesn’t work as well as one of the windows, their trying to blow it out without spending any more $$$. But consider, it was enthusiast owned as well as kept in a climate controlled room :roll::lol:. ~ John Buchtenkirch

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wonder how it runs with the vacuum lines connected backwards...

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Damn……. over 27 K and still climbing :shock: for a car with a bubbling bottom and a non-working sunroof. If I remember correctly the 3 year ago owner was asking 16.5 K and willing to negotiate down. ~ John Buchtenkirch